New Post Advanced Search

Ingrown toenail vs fungal infection.

8 replies 289 views
SncjwSncjw Forumite
2.7K posts
Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
Hi all

I'm booked to see a podiatry clinic tomorrow. I have been having severe pain in my big toe on my left foot. The pain is mainly on the right side of the nail but is going across on the fleshy bit of the toe. It's mainly red on the skin on lower right corner on the skin.

I had this pain last week but then it went away until last night. Its not painful in the joint at all. There is some dried skin near the edge of na and alsp a yellowish line.

I'm just wondering if anyone could tell the difference between ingrown nail and fungal infection really. 

Replies

• PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    See what your podiatry clinic says.
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ingrowing toenail painful

Fungal infections not
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • gigglinggoatgigglinggoat Forumite
    27 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Funchal nail infections are very common and difficult to get rid of?
  • GreylocksGreylocks Forumite
    45 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    IGTNs can be acutely painful and sometimes require minor surgery.
    Fungal nails are not normally painful.
  • edited 18 April at 1:35PM
    Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 April at 1:35PM
    Ingrown toenails can be a real pain.
    I keep mine in check by cutting a v - shaped notch in the leading edge (ie the bit you trim) of the nail.
    I was checking local podiatrist web-sites for verruca treatments recently and was horrified at some of the costs of treating IGTNs!  (Which is not to say that treatment is a bad thing if it can't be avoided, but best to avoid in the first place by v - shaped notches)
  • coffeehoundcoffeehound Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fungal can be painful when the nail gets distorted and pulled off the bed.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the OP could tell us what the podiatry clinic said...
  • GreylocksGreylocks Forumite
    45 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    Ingrown toenails can be a real pain.
    I keep mine in check by cutting a v - shaped notch in the leading edge (ie the bit you trim) of the nail.
    I was checking local podiatrist web-sites for verruca treatments recently and was horrified at some of the costs of treating IGTNs!  (Which is not to say that treatment is a bad thing if it can't be avoided, but best to avoid in the first place by v - shaped notches)
    Because a tertiary level education is required to inject local anaesthetic, perform surgery and provide antibiotics.