Are Prepayment customers being excluded by the new energy challengers?

in Energy
24 replies 531 views
13»

Replies

• MWTMWT Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    This morning when someone asked Octopus what are the pre-payment rates answer was to scroll 60+ tariffs to find above named prepayment tariff rates without mentioning that apparent key detail - gives the phrase "needle in a haystack" a whole new meaning

I really don't find the tariff list to be a problem as all the tariffs have a clear naming pattern so it is quick and easy to skip over the ones you are not interested in.
    I'd much rather have the complete list of current tariffs and be allowed to switch to any of them as Octopus offers, than have the hidden cheaper tariffs that most other providers will not offer to their current customers...

• edited 21 March at 1:26PM
    nottsphilnottsphil Forumite
    288 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 21 March at 1:26PM
    MWT said:
    Gerry1 said:
    If dozy Ofgem were any good, they'd have mandated long ago that pre-payment shouldn't cost any more than a credit tariff.  It's not as if the energy companies have to send someone round every month to collect the half crowns from the burgled meter; they get the money in advance and there's probably more risk from someone on a credit tariff running up a large debt and doing a moonlight flit.
    It's just plain wrong that responsible people desperately struggling to make ends meet and trying to avoid bill shock by limiting their consumption are hit by 
    In any event Octopus are not one of the suppliers that heavily loads the pre-pay rates anyway...
    Here is the variable tariff for Eastern region...
    Unchanged from when I posted it a month ago...
    Do you mean from the one you posted 3 weeks ago today? If so, I've noticed you've trimmed off the bit that contradicts what you state. 
    Prepayment gas has a penalty of more than 10p added to the standing charge... 
  • edited 21 March at 1:35PM
    nottsphilnottsphil Forumite
    288 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 21 March at 1:35PM
    MWT said:

Wonder how much more they charge their prepay customers than credit, just don’t think it’s very inclusive.
    Here are the Eastern region variable tariffs for credit and prepay...

How ridiculous that the new site only lets you multiquote posts from the same page!
  • MWTMWT Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    nottsphil said:
    Do you mean from the one you posted 3 weeks ago today? If so, I've noticed you've trimmed off the bit that contradicts what you state. 
    Prepayment gas has a penalty of more than 10p added to the standing charge... 
    I didn't trim off anything, I just didn't repost the credit tariff and it does not contradict anything I've said, as I said they did not heavily load the tariffs like some others.
    Yes there is an increased standing charge which is fair given the increased cost of the payment method but the unit price for electricity is actually lower than the credit tariff, and the gas tariff only 0.05p/kWh higher... that hardly qualifies as a 'heavy loading'...