balance transfer offer disappeard

in Credit Cards
9 replies 442 views
hilla_2hilla_2 Forumite
54 Posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
I've recently applied for a MBNA card which gives 25months interest  free 0% balance transfer card  with a 1% fee. The card arrived and it stated you will get 25 months 0% interest with a 1% balance transfer fee- all good so far!  I went on line to transfer a balance from another card but it wouldn't let me, it said there are no offers on this card. So I rang them to ask them to balance transfer from another card and they said there are no offers on this card. Has anybody experienced this before or can explain why? I have £7000 available but cant balance transfer anything onto it. Its basically useless to me.

Replies

• adamp87adamp87 Forumite
    587 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    hilla_2 said:
    I've recently applied for a MBNA card which gives 25months interest  free 0% balance transfer card  with a 1% fee. The card arrived and it stated you will get 25 months 0% interest with a 1% balance transfer fee- all good so far!  I went on line to transfer a balance from another card but it wouldn't let me, it said there are no offers on this card. So I rang them to ask them to balance transfer from another card and they said there are no offers on this card. Has anybody experienced this before or can explain why? I have £7000 available but cant balance transfer anything onto it. Its basically useless to me.
    Did you mention you have the offer in writing? If you get nowhere I can only suggest a email/written complaint copying the text in the letter you received I suppose.
    {Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact the Forum Team}
  • MattMattMattUKMattMattMattUK Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    How long after being accepted for the card did you wait to try and attempt the transfer, some only have a very specific period when they allow the transfers, usually within X days of acceptance.
  • chisterychistery Forumite
    188 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    How long had the card been open? The offers are usually only available for a short time at the start.
  • hilla_2hilla_2 Forumite
    54 Posts
    it was a brand new card. Just sent to me yesterday! it says i have 60 days to transfer a balance. Opened it about a week ago and as soon as it arrived I tried to do the balance transfer and it said 'no offers on this card despite the blurb on the piece of paper attached to the card saying you have 0% interest free on balance transferes for 25 months and a 1% transfer fee. Never known anything like this and I've been playing this game for many years now.
  • hilla_2hilla_2 Forumite
    54 Posts
    adamp87 said:
    hilla_2 said:
    Did you mention you have the offer in writing? If you get nowhere I can only suggest a email/written complaint copying the text in the letter you received I suppose.
    adamp87 said:
    hilla_2 said:
    yes I said I have the paper in front of me and I read it to the  person over the phone. I asked to speak to a manager too but she said if theres no offers showing there's nothing anybody can do- they cant override the system.
  • maxximus75maxximus75 Forumite
    532 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Make a written complaint and enclose a copy of the offer - that should do the trick?
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    83.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    hilla_2 said:
    it was a brand new card. Just sent to me yesterday! it says i have 60 days to transfer a balance. Opened it about a week ago and as soon as it arrived I tried to do the balance transfer and it said 'no offers on this card despite the blurb on the piece of paper attached to the card saying you have 0% interest free on balance transferes for 25 months and a 1% transfer fee. Never known anything like this and I've been playing this game for many years now.
    What's the rush if the card only arrived yesterday. Presumably it has to be activated first. 
    It's not whether you're right or wrong that's important, but how much money you make when you're right and how much you lose when you're wrong." — George Soros
  • Bcchops1Bcchops1 Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    hilla_2 said:
    I have had the same happen to me yesterday. I have logged a complaint as this is the reason I applied for the card. I would lodge a complaint with them. Surely they have to honour it? 
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    32.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bcchops1 said:
    hilla_2 said:
    Surely they have to honour it? 
    They surely don't, but hopefully they will.