HSBC Card Not Wiping From Report?

Jlawson118Jlawson118 Forumite
1.1K Posts
Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
✭✭✭
Towards the back end of 2019 I opened two credit cards with HSBC. The Advance Reward card and their Balance Transfer one.
I managed to pay the BT one a lot sooner than I thought and realised I also wasn't using the reward one either and closed these both down in June 2020.

The BT card wiped straight away from my report, but my Advance one is still showing as active. I've since tried to contact HSBC on numerous occasions who are just blaming the Credit Reference Agencies. 

Now I've had this happen before with a Lloyd's current account. Where I'd switched but there was a remaining balance on £0.12 on the account. With such a low amount they never informed me, nor did this show up on my report, and took a while to find it when I chased them up, I had to go into branch and pay it and the account was then closed and removed from my reports.
But trying to explain this to HSBC on the phone was like pulling teeth. I don't know if this was the same situation, but I don't know where else to take this?

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    32.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's nothing to do with the Lloyds situation.

It'll be resolved once business returns to some kind of normality, but it won't be doing you any harm  However, you could go to the ICO if it bothers you, though it won't be a quick process.
  • maxximus75maxximus75 Forumite
    533 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Neither of these accounts after closure should "wipe" from your credit report.  They should stay for six years from date of closure and marked as settled.
    If one is showing as active, what is the date of last activity/reporting? 
  • edited 26 February at 5:09PM
    Jlawson118Jlawson118 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February at 5:09PM
    Neither of these accounts after closure should "wipe" from your credit report.  They should stay for six years from date of closure and marked as settled.
    I know these don’t wipe, but they go from being active, to ‘closed’ and this one is remaining active. 
    The last date of activity is coming up as updated 16th February.
    It’s active for 2020, greyed out for September and then remains active again up until this month. Which is my concern
  • edited 26 February at 6:42PM
    Rosco32Rosco32 Forumite
    189 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 26 February at 6:42PM
    I think using the words “wipe” or “wiping” has led to some confusion. From experience banks are talking longer during the pandemic to report account closures to the CRA’s. In fact some of mine haven’t even reported my repayment history for several months even though I’ve been paying in full every month. It’ll happen, you’ll just have to wait it out. No need to be concerned.
  • adamp87adamp87 Forumite
    588 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I agree with you it can be helpful in gauging your own history/report if it suddenly drops.. etc somethings happened and you need to look at it. 

(Of course it could just be a higher spend, or search, but it could also be a fraudulent account or default)

The problem comes when some has a 999 or high credit score and gets rejected the first thing they say is I have a “perfect credit score”. 

And really it’s only a number you see and it isn’t a one size fits all for credit options based on a number.

People get a bit wary as so many CRA’s/Free reports try and get you to take more credit or into debt with offers/marketing and I think that’s what they are mostly warning against.

But glad you’ve used it to help yourself out :)
    {Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact the Forum Team}
  • Rosco32Rosco32 Forumite
    189 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    adamp87 said:
    I agree with you it can be helpful in gauging your own history/report if it suddenly drops.. etc somethings happened and you need to look at it. 

(Of course it could just be a higher spend, or search, but it could also be a fraudulent account or default)

The problem comes when some has a 999 or high credit score and gets rejected the first thing they say is I have a “perfect credit score”. 

And really it’s only a number you see and it isn’t a one size fits all for credit options based on a number.

People get a bit wary as so many CRA’s/Free reports try and get you to take more credit or into debt with offers/marketing and I think that’s what they are mostly warning against.

Have you posted on the wrong thread as what you’ve said has no correlation with this post?
  • adamp87adamp87 Forumite
    588 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Rosco32 said:
    adamp87 said:

Have you posted on the wrong thread as what you’ve said has no correlation with this post?
    I have. Apologies 
    {Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact the Forum Team}
  • maxximus75maxximus75 Forumite
    533 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I know these don’t wipe, but they go from being active, to ‘closed’ and this one is remaining active. 
    The last date of activity is coming up as updated 16th February.
    It’s active for 2020, greyed out for September and then remains active again up until this month. Which is my concern

My confusion was because of your wording in the title"wiping" and from your first post mentioning "wiping"?
    Although it seems credit reporting updates are months behind "most of mine are at least three months behind" - Your's should have updated to the "settled" status, by now,  if you closed it in June 2020.
    If you are not getting any luck with your credit providers telephone customer services then I would suggest raising it as a compaint with them (preferably in writing)?