Forum Home» Consumer Rights

What is the difference between Amazon and Amazon? - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

What is the difference between Amazon and Amazon?

28 replies 867 views

Replies

• MattMattMattUKMattMattMattUK Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    aitkegs said:
    You're objecting about the wrong party.  This is your relatives' fault for not checking.  I don't see why Amazon.com should have any obligation to swap funds with Amazon.co.uk any more than if your relatives had sent you, for example, a region-locked technical item you couldn't use in the UK, despite it being badged by a global brand.
    Not really the point to be honest - if there were any warning on either site then I would agree - but there isn't.  And what's the big deal about getting a refund - .com advisers say it's such an easy process - I wish it were when it comes to actually trying to get it.
    So, you want a warning when buying a voucher in USD on Amazon.com that states that you can not use that in another country, in another currency? Are you trying to get a refund as the non-purchasing party, or is the relative who purchased the voucher trying to get a refund?
  • LomastLomast Forumite
    689 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    aitkegs said:
    You're objecting about the wrong party.  This is your relatives' fault for not checking.  I don't see why Amazon.com should have any obligation to swap funds with Amazon.co.uk any more than if your relatives had sent you, for example, a region-locked technical item you couldn't use in the UK, despite it being badged by a global brand.

Also in reference to your comment on the logo - if I go into a MacDonalds - I don't expect to be greeted by a KFC menu!
    I belive around 80% of uk macdonalds are actually franchises therefore a different  company entirely so that argument does not really help your point

• powerful_Roguepowerful_Rogue Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    aitkegs said:

Not really the point to be honest - if there were any warning on either site then I would agree - but there isn't.  And what's the big deal about getting a refund - .com advisers say it's such an easy process - I wish it were when it comes to actually trying to get it.
    So why didn't your relatives order the voucher from https://www.amazon.sg/ if that's the case?

• edited 12 February at 1:39PM
    powerful_Roguepowerful_Rogue Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 February at 1:39PM
    aitkegs said:
    Thanks - but I do object to the excessive shipping costs when compared to posting the same/similar item from the UK.
    In fairness it does have a lot further to travel!
    However, somethings do work out cheaper even with the shipping costs and 20% tax.

Agreed.
    I often buy goods from Amazon.com and these are either items that can't be bought in the UK or which are far cheaper in the USA.
    Postage is reasonable ( normally about $6 to $8 for small items) and generally takes about 7 to 10 days to arrive.
    I've not ordered anything since the low value consignment relief was removed but checking on  the Amazon website, prepaying  the VAT is easy enough. 
    Exactly. We all have guily pleasures, one of mine is collecting Monopoly sets! Trying to get the one I want in the UK is impossible, and going for £80-£190 on ebay.
    £29.90 delivered from USA Amazon including postage and taxes, ordered on the 10th Feb, delivery on the 22nd Feb. Cheaper then what it did sell for in the UK when it was available!

• Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    9.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    aitkegs said:

You expect every domain of every international company to carry a warning about the differences in their company status?  Right.

As for the refund, that is up to your relatives to sort out because you have no rights, and will depend on the terms of the conditions of the site they purchased from.
  • Aylesbury_DuckAylesbury_Duck Forumite
    9.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    aitkegs said:

Also in reference to your comment on the logo - if I go into a MacDonalds - I don't expect to be greeted by a KFC menu!
    That's a pretty silly analogy that suggests you still don't understand the reason behind your problem.
  • aitkegsaitkegs Forumite
    7 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    aitkegs said:

That's a pretty silly analogy that suggests you still don't understand the reason behind your problem.

You may think so - but I don't think you understand the issue.  If you deal with an online trading name, I think most people wouldn't necessarily check to see if there were different versions.  Type Amazon into your browser and I guarantee .com and .co.uk links will be presented - a doubt if most would recognise the difference.  I'll give you another example - eBay trades globally but I don't have to check if there are different versions.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    23.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aitkegs said:
    aitkegs said:

Type Amazon into your browser and I guarantee .com and .co.uk links will be presented
    No .com links anywhere on the first page of results if I try that either on Google or Bing from the UK.
  • MattMattMattUKMattMattMattUK Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    aitkegs said:
    aitkegs said:

You may think so - but I don't think you understand the issue.  If you deal with an online trading name, I think most people wouldn't necessarily check to see if there were different versions.  Type Amazon into your browser and I guarantee .com and .co.uk links will be presented - a doubt if most would recognise the difference.  I'll give you another example - eBay trades globally but I don't have to check if there are different versions.
    If you list on eBay.com you will be charged different fees, in a different currency, under a different legal jurisdiction to eBay.co.uk.