New Post Advanced Search

Indoor plants for coolish room.

8 replies 122 views
Hi.

Trying to add a bit of green interest to the interior - rooms such as en-suite bathrooms, places which are usually not heated much so I guess will be at 16oC most times, cooler overnight. One in particular does have a large West-facing window, so the sun - when it appears - does come through in the afternoons. For the rest of the time, tho', it can be considered 'in shade'.

Since most indoor plants usually have to be used to warmer climes - 20oC or so - is it nuts to consider having an outdoor plant in rooms like this instead?

Thoughts as to options - around 2-3' height (it'll be sitting on a raised surface, 3' off t'ground), with interesting foliage and stuff? What has made folk go 'Hmmm - interesting...' in your experience? 

Thanks for any pointers. And to whether 'outdoor' is even sensible.

Replies

• RexxelRexxel Forumite
    71 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    In my cool bathroom with 2 external walls, I have the following plants:

Dragon Tree
    Peace Lily
    Fatsia Japonica
    Cactus (not sure of variety)

:) 

• twopennytwopenny Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Peace Lilly likes it cool and shady because it would normally be on a forest floor. And it is reasonably compact.
    I've grown  Spider plants in a bathroom, look good when they are really big and hung up high.
    Also Fatsia is jungle like if you have more room
    And the Swiss Cheese plant too.
    You could look at some of the more unusual Orchids on sale now. They grow on trees and put up with low light.
    Air plants if you pop them in shells or glass holders and string them up just need misting occasionally not watering. You can even glue them to the walls as they don't have roots as such. Have a look at 'air plants in the bathroom' on google images for ideas

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Jeepers_CreepersJeepers_Creepers Forumite
    2.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for you suggestions. I'm familiar with most of these - tho' not the tree orchids or air plants - never heard of them! I look forward to investigating :-)  

These are still essentially 'indoor' plants? So you are saying that these are happy with cooler rooms? Cool.

Is it daft to consider an outdoor plant if I happen to find one I like?!
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ooh, Fatsia japonica 'Spiders Web' is lovely :-)  
  • joe90mitchjoe90mitch Forumite
    50 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Not saying you have to buy from them but try an online plant store, you can often filter by room temperature/humidity/brightness etc. Eg try patch plants, we bought one from there due to lockdown closing the local shops and were happy with the quality 
  • theoreticatheoretica Forumite
    7.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it daft to consider an outdoor plant if I happen to find one I like?!
    Some 'outdoor' plants would be happy, but not all - look out for the many that need more light, or find it a bit on the warm side for this time of year.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff - thank you :-)   

Lawdie, I'm fascinated by these 'air' plants - aren't they amazing! I'm going to be remodelling one bathroom adding rough ('off-saw') wooden lights and shelves. Man, if I could have a plant growing directly off the end of the shelf, how cool would that be?!

In practice, how growable are they?
  • asheashe Forumite
    858 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Orchids are great because they flower for absolutely ages but you do have to give them regular baths so not as low maintenance as many house plants