Extension Glazed Roof Replacement

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can offer any insight. We are buying a property in the outskirts of South London. The dining room (max 2.5m 3.5m)  is in an extension which currently has an ugly polycarbonate roof on metal beams which does not look nice and is probably not very well insulated. Would anyone have and idea how much could it cost to replace that roof with some sort of glazing or even acryllic but with clean panes? I would appreciate any insight.

Replies

• Jeepers_CreepersJeepers_Creepers Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Poly? It certainly won't be well insulated at all. It'll also likely be draughty at the edges/ends, noisy in rain, and just generally give your dining room a look of a cheap connie?

What shape is it - a single slope? A 'lean-to' style? What are the walls made of? Are these PVC or solid?

If you can - ie if the wall material justifies it - I'd go for a proper flat roof, well insulated, GRP or EDDM covering and with a couple of skylights or a sky lantern. From the inside this will now look like a proper roof and not anywhere like a connie. It'll become desirable instead of second-rate. And it'll be warm whilst still allowing nice shafts of sunlight and views of the sky.

You'd need to really want a complete glass roof rather than this.

It will need Building Control oversight. (Tho' if hidden, I'd just get on with it - the thickness of flat roof required these days is crazy...)
    3.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, cost? I dunno - around £5k? A sky lantern - £1k to £1.5 (PVC or Ali)?
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, cost? I dunno - around £5k? A sky lantern - £1k to £1.5 (PVC or Ali)?
    But it will transform the space (says she who is not fond of her polycarbonate conservatory roof).
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
    3.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having viewed more house than I care to remember over the past few years for sis and mil, I cannot emphasise the difference in feel and appeal between a house having a connie and one with a 'garden' room, orangery, whateves it's called.

(Cue annoyed MSE forum member :-)   )