Looking for the best way to temporarily insure a car that I may keep?
My Dad has stage4 lung cancer and is no longer able to drive. He has said I can have his car, however the car still has outstanding finance which he is expecting to settle within the next couple of months (He's just waiting for the Critical illness cover insurance he has to pay out). However, I'm in 2 minds about whether I want to have it or not.
His car is a 3 year old 3 door Vauxhall Corsa SRi, whereas my car is an 8 year old 5 door Suzuki Swift Z2 (so really, really basic). Both have very low mileage for their age. My car is absolutely fine mechanically and I am quite sentimental about it.
My Dad's car is also really pleasant to drive, and all the little extras are luxuries I'm not used to having (bluetooth, heated windscreen, Air Con) are also a nice bonus.
So we decided it would be best for me to use it for a couple of weeks and see how I get on with using it. I do have fully comp insurance which allows me to drive other vehicles (I’ve checked) but I’m also aware this is supposed to be used for emergency use. Not casual use and is also not permitted for commuting.
We can’t decide whether it would be best (and also cheaper) for me to be added as a named driver on my Dad’s fully comp insurance or simply bite the bullet and move my insurance over to Dad's car and leave my car parked off road at my mum’s uninsured. Temporary insurance for 2 weeks is more expensive than my annual policy for my swift so that isn't an option.
Also, would the fact
that the car is registered to another address affect my premiums?
What would be the best (and legal) thing to do?