New Post Advanced Search

Things not to do in new Lockdown

71 replies 14K views

Replies

• jonteebeejonteebee Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    What a silly dialogue.  Conversely,  I continue to shower every day and put on clean clothes too.  I find this self affirming, self respecting and it gives me a sense of control rather than allowing myself to be swept up in a tsunami of disregard, disrespect and just not caring which leads to feeling even worse about myself.  I learnt this one years ago when in a state of isolation, grief and loss (ages before lockdown which now resonates with that time) I had to stop and then start again.  So, coupled with not being clean and feeling fresh, do you stop cooking yourself a meal and revert to a pot noodle - or nothing?  No.  All that is saying is "you don't matter".  You do.  It's not rocket science and unachievable or difficult.  Just keep it simple - scramble some buttery eggs on toast, revel in a bubbly bath/long hot shower midweek in the afternoon (when were you last allowed to do that, eh?), Hard as it seems, change your sheets/pillow cases/duvet cover - so lovely to slip into after a !!!!!! day  Just give yourself permission to do it for YOU and absolutely nobody else and you will feel so, so much better.  JONTEEBEE  xx
  • lemondrops69lemondrops69 Forumite
    96 posts
    10 Posts Photogenic
    I couldn't do without a daily shower, if I didnt have one I'd feel so dirty. I love a nice hot and soapy scrunchy shower
  • PennyDDPennyDD Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I'm at home all day and drink plenty of water.  Consequently it needs to come out.  I'm going through toilet paper like I don't know what.  I'm going to cut down to only 2 sheets per wee and if it's yellow, I let it mellow. (Don't flush everytime)
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jonteebee said:
    What a silly dialogue.  Conversely,  I continue to shower every day and put on clean clothes too.  I find this self affirming, self respecting and it gives me a sense of control rather than allowing myself to be swept up in a tsunami of disregard, disrespect and just not caring which leads to feeling even worse about myself. 
    ....And you don't feel particularly inclined to accept any 'new normal' nonsense either, I'll bet. Well done. :)
  • tooldletooldle Forumite
    511 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Davesnave said:
    jonteebee said:
    What a silly dialogue.  Conversely,  I continue to shower every day and put on clean clothes too.  I find this self affirming, self respecting and it gives me a sense of control rather than allowing myself to be swept up in a tsunami of disregard, disrespect and just not caring which leads to feeling even worse about myself. 
    ....And you don't feel particularly inclined to accept any 'new normal' nonsense either, I'll bet. Well done. :)
    I agree. We might be in lockdown but i am still sat at my desk working. I might not be 'in my usual workplace' as such but I still have to behave professionally and for me that also includes making the effort. As tempting as it is to sit here in jeans and a fleece, i do make an effort for at least part of the week. It definitely makes me feel better to 'dress for work'. If i didn't, a large chunk of my clothing would be sat in the wardrobe doing nothing. 
    I really can't think of anything that i an specifically not doing because of the lockdown other than perhaps meal times being not quite so regimented. The lack of commuting takes the element of rush away from the later part of my day. Equally though i'll often work on a bit to get whatever i am doing at the time to a place where i am content to leave it.
     If anything i have more time on my hands (no lane swimming sessions, no dog training club, and no visits to mum as her care home is closed). I've started to watch TV occasionally of an evening (something i never did before) and i have rediscovered my love of jigsaws. Another bonus is the plethora of free webinars aligned to my professional interests, all accessible from the comfort of my own home, in my own time. 
  • edited 15 January at 3:47PM
    MrsStepfordMrsStepford Forumite
    634 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 15 January at 3:47PM
    I read in The Grocer, that sales of personal care products are down £380 million so ewwww

My husband has been working from home since March. He hasn't worn a suit since then, because he hasn't been to HQ. Besides which, it wouldn't be too affordable to have to dry clean the suits every time they were worn. 

I have bought him shirts, polo shirts, plaid shirts, cords, chinos and jeans and we have created a home office space for him in part of the sitting room, which happened early summer.
    Australia DOESN'T have a deal with the EU. 
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's too easy to go into slob mode and just give up on what you look or smell like.

I've just splashed out on some of my favourite toiletries so I can pamper myself with "home-spa" days.

I've also still been doing my nails regularly, even though no one sees them (except DH)

I'd rather emerge out of lockdown a beautiful butterfly, than look like someone who's just crawled out of a cave.

😇
    "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!

* I shall only get involved in new threads, once a dialogue has been established with the OP *
  • tooldletooldle Forumite
    511 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    On first reading, the figure seems huge. Taking into account the size of the UK population makes the change per head pretty small. 
    Myself i know of a good few people who have stopped colouring their hair, since March. Beards seem increasingly popular.