Safe payment method

edited 12 January 2021 at 7:07PM in Ebay, auctions, car boot & jumble sales
3 replies 85 views
dwpn00bdwpn00b Forumite
47 Posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
If you're selling online i.e. shpock or gumtree, what's the safest payments method? Bank transfer or cash? If someone came with cash, not sure I can spot new fake notes.
Can someone reverse a bank transfer?

Replies

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Ambassador
    69.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    If selling face to face then cash is best , just learn what a fake note looks like. Bank transfers can’t be reversed but it becomes difficult to use bank transfer for collection, do they pay first and trust you to have given them the right address and described the item correctly, or do you trust them to collect and pay later? it makes things far too complicated .
    ’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • dwpn00bdwpn00b Forumite
    47 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    soolin said:
    If selling face to face then cash is best , just learn what a fake note looks like. Bank transfers can’t be reversed but it becomes difficult to use bank transfer for collection, do they pay first and trust you to have given them the right address and described the item correctly, or do you trust them to collect and pay later? it makes things far too complicated .
    With new notes where would one even look? So bank transfer would be they are outside your house, they pay with app and you hand over item.