Time to start a fresh.

in Debt Free Diaries
1.1K replies 44.1K views
BlueJ94BlueJ94 Forumite, Ambassador
2.1K Posts
1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
I've been on the MSE forum a while. I've always known I was in debt but pushed it to the back of my mind, convinced I don't owe a lot. Been in debt since I was 18 maybe earlier.. 
Roll forward to last year, paying minimums on CC and loans, still convinced in my head that I don't really owe a lot.... WRONG! I've managed to rack up around 5K on CC and Loans!  :s BUT, I still didn't really see it as a lot, which is stupid! I think I thought being in Debt was "Normal" due to both my mam and sister also being in debt...

I finally shook my head and realised, 5K is a lot. I decided Saturday evening to contact PayPlan, today I spoke with an advisor and set up a DMP. I spoke to someone who is really lovely and reassured me that speaking to them and getting advice is the right thing to do. I start paying my DMP next month, It's estimated I will be debt free by April next year! I'm honestly so motivated to do this and not be in anymore debt! I'll also be receiving some money from my Grandad passing last year, so hopefully will pay off my debts quicker :smile:
Also, I've started couch to 5K I start week 2 this week, I'm trying to get more active and eat healthier! So far it's making me feel 10x better, I don't feel so tired all the time either! 

I'm going to try and update weekly! :blush:

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt-free Wannabe and Spending & Discounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert. 

Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 15 #070 Target £1000

Pay ALL Your Debt Off By Xmas 2022! #66 £2139.48/£4700
Tilly Tidy 2022 £8.38/£500
Saving for Christmas 2022 - £1 a day challenge #03 £8.38/£365

118 Money £1880

Replies

• BabybellesBabybelles Forumite
    107 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Good luck on paying off your debt & for making that first step. Onwards & upwards x
  • BlueJ94BlueJ94 Forumite, Ambassador
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck on paying off your debt & for making that first step. Onwards & upwards x
    Thank you! I can't keep living this way 😳 as you said, onwards and upwards x
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt-free Wannabe and Spending & Discounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert. 

118 Money £1880
  • FootyFanDanFootyFanDan Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck on becoming debt free, the first step is normally the hardest. You have got this!
  • edited 11 January 2021 at 11:42PM
    BlueJ94BlueJ94 Forumite, Ambassador
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 11 January 2021 at 11:42PM
    Good luck on becoming debt free, the first step is normally the hardest. You have got this!
    Thank you! I'm glad to be on the journey, I can learn things along the way and hopefully won't be in debt for not much longer 🤞

118 Money £1880
  • bd80sbd80s Forumite
    361 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Good luck :smile: 
    So many good tips on here that can help, look forward to seeing your progress.
    Settled to date - 6, settled - fiend loan
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    bd80s said:
    Good luck :smile: 
    So many good tips on here that can help, look forward to seeing your progress.
    Thank you ☺️ 

118 Money £1880
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Ambassador
    13.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see you have started a diary and good that you have sorted out a DMP.  Have you cut back as much as possible and started saving so you don't have to rely on credit if you have an emergency? Keep up on the Couch to 5k too.  Getting fitter will help your health and energy levels. 
    Early retired in December 2017. Debt counsellor for a High Street bank in a previous life.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Save £12k in 2022 challenge #36 £4150/£12,000
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see you have started a diary and good that you have sorted out a DMP.  Have you cut back as much as possible and started saving so you don't have to rely on credit if you have an emergency? Keep up on the Couch to 5k too.  Getting fitter will help your health and energy levels. 
    Thank you ☺️ not yet, I'm going to go through everything this month as my DMP starts February 1st and I'll go through everything, from old clothes gadgets etc that I could sell. I'm awaiting money from my grandads house being sold before Christmas so that's going to help a lot!

Thank you I start week 2 tomorrow, I'm hoping I keep it up! Sound silly but I've started drinking lots more water aswell 😊

118 Money £1880
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Ambassador
    13.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes we all need to drink more water.  I try and drink at least 5/6 a day in addition to tea/coffee.  Have you started a savings account as you will not have access to credit in an emergency. 
    Early retired in December 2017. Debt counsellor for a High Street bank in a previous life.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Save £12k in 2022 challenge #36 £4150/£12,000
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes we all need to drink more water.  I try and drink at least 5/6 a day in addition to tea/coffee.  Have you started a savings account as you will not have access to credit in an emergency. 
    Yeah I try and drink 1.5 litres 😊 yes I've got a savings account open, with all of 32p currently in there 😂 I'm doing the tilly tidy challenge 🤞

118 Money £1880