Forum Home» Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News

Martin Lewis: I averaged 24,290 steps a day (burning 3,910 calories) in 2020 – here's how...

New Post Advanced Search

Martin Lewis: I averaged 24,290 steps a day (burning 3,910 calories) in 2020 – here's how...

8 replies 401 views
MSE_EeshaMSE_Eesha MSE Staff
147 posts
Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
MSE Staff
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Replies

• martinbuckleymartinbuckley Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I got a Fitbit for Christmas 2019 and it has been the one thing that has worked for me in regards to weight loss and fitness. Although my stats are nowhere near Martin's, I have managed to walk just short of 5 million steps in 2020, and for the first 3 months, I was awaiting/recovering from surgery which limited my walking ability.  My aim for 2021 is to improve on that figure and make 100,000 steps every week of the year, which will hopefully push me to around 5.5 million steps over the year.
    10Kg lighter and much fitter!
  • pennyforthempennyforthem Forumite
    158 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I found my old wrist step counter last year put the app on my phone because it kept resetting at 8pm only for some reason it required complete access to ALL my phone so that got removed straight away!!!! But I purchased a 79p calendar to keep track of all my exercising for the year instead, I haven't got out of bed yet.... but it will happen at some point this year I am sure. Funny thing is I used to not exercise one day a week on purpose, so my Mother could not accuse me of being obsessed with exercise.....now they think I'm lazy, you just can't please some people!
    It's a motivational calendar the quote for this month is "Never regret something that once made you happy" what like doughnuts?
    Sigh how can you regret a run!
  • Tom_The_Great_SebastianTom_The_Great_Sebastian Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Yawn.
    The annual smug ain't-I-wonderful post.
  • Tom_The_Great_SebastianTom_The_Great_Sebastian Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    From the self-basting Mr Lewis.
  • spokesladyspokeslady Forumite
    2 posts
    Tenth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I don't records steps,  but miles, which are more meaningful to me.  In 2020 I walked 1109 miles outdoors, in town and country.
  • FarfetchFarfetch Forumite
    1K posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure if we were all multi-millionaires with only the need to go on a few tv / radio shows and otherwise had unlimited free time we all would be able to walk as many million steps as we wanted to.
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Board Guide
    11.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try and do 10k steps a day so 24k is awesome but I walk for pleasure mainly on the coast path which is challenging walking and on days like this I often do top 20k-30k but not every day. That seems obsessive which he admits himself. Walking on a treadmill just doesn't do it for me. Each to their own. 
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected]
  • INWBINWB Forumite
    2 posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Conflicted about Mr Lewis post but as someone who prefers the glass half full I will not comment on the negative.

For lockdown I was able to buy a nice treadmill but other things took priority (mainly work). That is in as good a shape as I can make it during a pandemic and the inevitable double dip recession approaching. So mental  health and getting in shape are the priorities now. The Dry January downsides have now gone so walks (without being arrested by over zealous police that have ) and getting back on the treadmill it is. Agree with Martin about taking every opportunity. So I am building myself a laptop desk that I can put on the treadmill. Teams will be out because my clients wouldn't appreciate it but I can do stuff in between. 

Not a multi millionaire TV pundit so 24,000 steps may not be possible but I will do my best. Thanks for the motivational blog.