13»

Replies

• edited 25 November 2020 at 9:07AM
    EmmiaEmmia Forumite
    942 posts
    500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 25 November 2020 at 9:07AM
    I do a spin class only subscription at a place in central london for £125 a month, I normally do 4 or 5 classes a week - if I had the space, I'd get a peloton instead.

I don't and won't road cycle, since frankly I'm too terrified and I have knee issues which largely rules out running... Also spin and road cycling are different things. 

You're all about to tell me I'm mad, and I should save money and go to a gym with machines and whatnot - but classes is what motivates me  to go, and the selection/availability at most gyms isn't really good enough - I don't go otherwise and that is definitely a waste of money.
  • dunsford123dunsford123 Forumite
    4 posts
    Third Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Just placed my order for the Tread. UK is first country to sell them and mine is due to arrive early Feb.
    Find some of the arguments on here a little strange - we all have different circumstances, finances, space for equipment etc, so why anyone would assume there is a right or wrong answer to purchasing a Peloton is beyond me
    BTW, if you are considering purchasing one then send me a direct message- I have a referral code that entitles you to £100 off accessories. I also then get a voucher for the same amount off clothing
    All the best
  • fred246fred246 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's like going into a restaurant and paying £300 for a bowl of chicken soup. It might be free range chicken and it might be nicely cooked but it shouldn't cost £300. There is no reason why a Peloton subscriptions should cost £40. It's a silly amount that's totally unjustified. The problem is that it's a bit like Apple products. It attracts a certain type of person who thinks that paying large amounts for a 'quality' product is clever. Still interested in the OP. Does someone really join a money saving website and post about a Peloton and run off never to be seen again. Or do Peloton pay people to do such activities to raise their profile?
  • EmmiaEmmia Forumite
    942 posts
    500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    fred246 said:
    It's like going into a restaurant and paying £300 for a bowl of chicken soup. It might be free range chicken and it might be nicely cooked but it shouldn't cost £300. There is no reason why a Peloton subscriptions should cost £40. It's a silly amount that's totally unjustified. The problem is that it's a bit like Apple products. It attracts a certain type of person who thinks that paying large amounts for a 'quality' product is clever. Still interested in the OP. Does someone really join a money saving website and post about a Peloton and run off never to be seen again. Or do Peloton pay people to do such activities to raise their profile?
    But it is a choice - If someone is not in debt, has savings, has the spare income and will use the product, then why not?

Just because you wouldn't subscribe/use it - doesn't mean that the option should be barred to others who would use the product and have the income to do so.

I don't see it as any different from someone choosing to buy shoes from Church's rather than Clark's, or someone choosing to go out for a pint, and going to their local pub where a pint is £7 rather than going to Wetherspoons where it will be £5 or less. 
  • Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just placed my order for the Tread. UK is first country to sell them and mine is due to arrive early Feb.
    Find some of the arguments on here a little strange - we all have different circumstances, finances, space for equipment etc, so why anyone would assume there is a right or wrong answer to purchasing a Peloton is beyond me
    BTW, if you are considering purchasing one then send me a direct message- I have a referral code that entitles you to £100 off accessories. I also then get a voucher for the same amount off clothing
    All the best
    I think some of the sceptical responses are understandable and there's a good example on the first page here where someone rubbishes smart trainers with a a number of deliberate lies then writes a marketing worthy review of the Peleton system and promptly disappears with that being their only post.  I find that's often the case with discussions on Peleton and I've seen similar reviews from larger sites where they either don't mention or criticise smart trainers while waxing lyrical about the Peleton system which immediately makes me sceptical.

I don't think it's so much the price of the Peleton people are questioning but more the value of what you're getting (I'm sure I'm not the only one that will admit to having spent a lot more on cycling), I was genuinely surprised how basic the Peleton bike is.  Power meters are one of the best ways to measure effort because unlike HR monitors they give you an instant reading at that moment, the downside is they're more expensive but I thought they'd be at the core of the expensive Peleton bike except it doesn't have one at all instead using a cheaper and less accurate alternative to estimate power.  I was also surprised to find the original model had no automated resistance control and the one they've added on the plus bikes is pretty crude unlike smart trainers which fully integrate automated resistance control.  I could understand the higher subscription cost but the bike part still seems expensive for what it is.

To be fair to the Peleton system I don't think it's trying to be a cycling simulator or aimed at cyclists, it's intended to offer a gym type experience so for people wanting that type of exercise it's likely better suited than Zwift and a smart trainer which is a much better solution for cyclists.
  • fred246fred246 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Emmia said:
    fred246 said:
    But it is a choice - If someone is not in debt, has savings, has the spare income and will use the product, then why not?

Just because you wouldn't subscribe/use it - doesn't mean that the option should be barred to others who would use the product and have the income to do so.

I don't see it as any different from someone choosing to buy shoes from Church's rather than Clark's, or someone choosing to go out for a pint, and going to their local pub where a pint is £7 rather than going to Wetherspoons where it will be £5 or less. 
    Completely out of touch with reality. A pint in Wetherspoons is nothing like £5. Must live well South where everything is more expensive and not as good.