CyclistDreams - House deposit diary

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in How much have you saved?
35 replies 6K views
124»

Replies

• RadsiRadsi Forumite
    4 Posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    What you said in your initial post struck a cord about not being in the right position for that property you saw. Just wanted to say sometimes you have to believe everything happens for a reason. October 2019 I fell in love with a house that was perfect for me in terms of location, size, etc etc. It had 6 offers went to full and final and I didn't get it. I just couldnt offer any more money at that point as I didnt have it/couldnt get it with mortgage.
    Found out through land registry I missed out by £5000 sulked and was heartbroken as no other house compared to it. 

Covid hit and working for the NHS was more overtime than I ever wanted. So i just kept going and my average earnings grew as did my savings. 

The house over the road went up for sale.  Had a better layout than the other one and was literally perfect. Had 6 offers after one day of viewings. No full and final. Sellers went with me as I had the highest deposit and was in the best position. When I move in I might introduce myself to my new over the road neighbours who I hated for a year for stealing my house 🤣 
  • savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    16K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brilliant news on job and savings front. Stay safe and let's wish for a good 2021.
    Try to have a minimal spend year in 2021
    Saving change in money box.
  • doingitanywaydoingitanyway Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Radsi said:
    What you said in your initial post struck a cord about not being in the right position for that property you saw. Just wanted to say sometimes you have to believe everything happens for a reason. October 2019 I fell in love with a house that was perfect for me in terms of location, size, etc etc. It had 6 offers went to full and final and I didn't get it. I just couldnt offer any more money at that point as I didnt have it/couldnt get it with mortgage.
    Found out through land registry I missed out by £5000 sulked and was heartbroken as no other house compared to it. 

Covid hit and working for the NHS was more overtime than I ever wanted. So i just kept going and my average earnings grew as did my savings. 

The house over the road went up for sale.  Had a better layout than the other one and was literally perfect. Had 6 offers after one day of viewings. No full and final. Sellers went with me as I had the highest deposit and was in the best position. When I move in I might introduce myself to my new over the road neighbours who I hated for a year for stealing my house 🤣 
    This post really spoke to me. I also lost a house and could not bid any higher after increasing my offer by £10,000. I'd like to think I will emerge with something even better too. Thank you for posting :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
    £500/2,500 Legal and moving costs
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    12.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cyclistdreams appears to be partway through buying a house, but he hasn't updated his diary in a while.
  • savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    16K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's brilliant. He has made some amazing sacrifices it shows that it all pays off in the end. 
    Try to have a minimal spend year in 2021
    Saving change in money box.