New Post Advanced Search

UK Hols and Theatre


Please check the MSE coronavirus guides that contain all the confirmed info we have – these guides are being constantly updated:
Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights

For any specific Coronavirus related queries please post on the Coronavirus Boards on the forum:
Coronavirus Support & Help * Coronavirus Travel Help & Info

Grabbing an Xmas bargain?

14 replies 541 views
We've had our overseas plans ruined by the flight ban (despite testing negative for the virus!) and were hoping to see if we could find somewhere nice in the UK. We're in a Tier 2 area (and will be after the new tiers come in) so were hoping to find ourselves a Tier 2 bargain break especially as many will now be cancelling their plans.

Any clues where to look? Most providers seem to be wanting unrealistic sums considering the amount of potential customers they must have left. 
«1

Replies

  • p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    cubegame said:
    We've had our overseas plans ruined by the flight ban (despite testing negative for the virus!) and were hoping to see if we could find somewhere nice in the UK. We're in a Tier 2 area (and will be after the new tiers come in) so were hoping to find ourselves a Tier 2 bargain break especially as many will now be cancelling their plans.
    I think you may be optimistic assuming that anywhere is going to remain in tier 2 for very long after Christmas......
  • cubegamecubegame Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    cubegame said:
    We've had our overseas plans ruined by the flight ban (despite testing negative for the virus!) and were hoping to see if we could find somewhere nice in the UK. We're in a Tier 2 area (and will be after the new tiers come in) so were hoping to find ourselves a Tier 2 bargain break especially as many will now be cancelling their plans.
    I think you may be optimistic assuming that anywhere is going to remain in tier 2 for very long after Christmas......
    That's why we want to get away for a few days walking immediately after Xmas!




  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    10.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    decide where you want to g and look up the tourist information for that area.
    Holidays in the festive period are always dearer as staff want to enjoy the festive period as well as you. They may be paid more to give up their holiday.
    Heating and lighting costs will be the same whether there are 5 guests or  15 guests. 
  • cubegamecubegame Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    sheramber said:
    decide where you want to g and look up the tourist information for that area.
    Holidays in the festive period are always dearer as staff want to enjoy the festive period as well as you. They may be paid more to give up their holiday.
    Heating and lighting costs will be the same whether there are 5 guests or  15 guests. 
    We were looking in the South West (we're in Wiltshire so not too far).
    It seems that Xmas prices prevail though. I guess cottage owners rather have their properties sitting empty......odd.
  • twopennytwopenny Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it's odd. A large hotel that was going to close over Christmas for the first time decided to open because of interupted trade by the second lockdown. The weekend breaks were astronomical prices considering there would be no entertainment or the usual celebrations. They got no takers so actually had to close earlier than planned.
    I noticed another seaside hotel had closed for Christmas too. With so many not allowed to travel and many advised not to I think it will be a common problem.
    From today most areas in the uk have had to close accommodation. most areas people are advised not to travel. That probably means the few that can can charge a premium.


    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

  • annabanana82annabanana82 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    My friend paid £800 last minute for a 3 night break in Herefordshire after their place in Wiltshire cancelled. It was cheaper than what was cancelled, it was booked via Airbnb and broke the rules as more than one family mixing but I guess some owners will take the risk to try and get a bit of income in.
  • cubegamecubegame Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, my attempts were futile.
    I even spoke to three cottage owners who wouldn't even shift from their Xmas price by more than 10%. My tactic was to offer them their low season price (normally about a 1/4 of their Xmas price) but not one of them was interested. One even went as far as saying it was derisory despite me pointing out that he'd be happy for me to pay that if I booked a mere two weeks later!

    The real highlight though was someone who lectured me about even trying to travel to Cornwall in the midst of a pandemic! 
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    10.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With  today's weather in the south west you are probably better off at home anyway.
  • martindowmartindow Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    cubegame said:
    The real highlight though was someone who lectured me about even trying to travel to Cornwall in the midst of a pandemic! 
    They probably have a point - going on holiday is hardly an essential journey.

  • PotbellypigPotbellypig Forumite
    715 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    cubegame said:
    Well, my attempts were futile.
    I even spoke to three cottage owners who wouldn't even shift from their Xmas price by more than 10%. My tactic was to offer them their low season price (normally about a 1/4 of their Xmas price) but not one of them was interested. One even went as far as saying it was derisory despite me pointing out that he'd be happy for me to pay that if I booked a mere two weeks later!

    The real highlight though was someone who lectured me about even trying to travel to Cornwall in the midst of a pandemic! 

    My heart bleeds.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support