Small surprise windfall

Got some good new yesterday that I'll be getting an unexpected extra £500 in January. Anyone got an idea on how to make the best use of it? I could easily do the boring thing and put it into a savings account. but I'd like to do something more than that. Any ideas - Government bonds perhaps, maybe a bit of day trading?
Anyone else had a surprise windfall recently, let us all know

Replies

• pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this because of COVID..?
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it were me, I'd spend it on a nice treat for my family and me. After all, we're only here once and all that and we have all been suffering the effects of coronavirus (although haven't had it, thank goodness) and also, we don't really know if/when it will end. 

Because: it's a lovely amount but not enough to buy a house (which is my next big venture) or to plan for a holiday and finally, you can't take it with you. 

Others may or may not agree and that is up to them but you asked, and I answered. 

Well done on the windfall, btw!
    My opinions are strictly my own. The forum advises everyone to double-check all information given by any forumite to ensure accuracy. Once commented, I rarely return to a thread, as per this "the moving finger writes and, having writ, moves on" (origin Omar Khayyam). I aspire to the (corny but true) saying - in a world where you can be anything, please be kind.
  • greyteam1959greyteam1959 Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Buy some premium bonds.
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    19.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MalMonroe said:
    If it were me, I'd spend it on a nice treat for my family and me. After all, we're only here once and all that and we have all been suffering the effects of coronavirus (although haven't had it, thank goodness) and also, we don't really know if/when it will end. 

Because: it's a lovely amount but not enough to buy a house (which is my next big venture) or to plan for a holiday and finally, you can't take it with you. 

Others may or may not agree and that is up to them but you asked, and I answered. 

Well done on the windfall, btw!
    The problem with that philosophy is that you can end up spending every lot of £500 you get, because it isn’t worth saving as it won’t buy you a house. That way, you’ll never buy a house. 

On the other hand, squirrelling it away is not much fun, either. 

Maybe, save some and spend some on a treat?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    £300 into premium bonds, £200 for a nice treat.
  • penners324penners324 Forumite
    737 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Put it in your pension 
  • deadendwaterfalldeadendwaterfall Forumite
    298 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Split it 50/50, £250 saved and £250 spent on something you or someone you know wants. 
    :o
  • parcivalparcival Forumite
    949 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Silvertabby - nice ratio and £200 is enough for a lovely treat.
  • KipmasterfunkKipmasterfunk Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    pogofish said:
    Is this because of COVID..?
    No. My step-mum plays enjoys a game of online bingo and had a reasonable win. She has decided to share her good fortune with me and my sister.
  • KipmasterfunkKipmasterfunk Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I like the idea of splitting it, enjoying some and saving some.