So a quick question for anyone smarter than me🤨

We have virgin broadband in our house which is very good with excellent speeds however last year we had an extension built and as good as our broadband is, it is very poor in the extension. We have tried many different boosters all with little luck so we have decided to phone virgin and ask them to set up a new router in the extension, this would mean we have one router in the main house and one in the extension. Does anyone know if this is something virgin would do??
"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Replies

• littleboolittleboo Forumite
    994 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean a completely separate, 2nd VM service? Quite possibly they will, if they have the spare capacity. However, unless there is something very unusual about your property, its a sledgehammer to crack a nut and not money saving at all. Have you tried extending the broadband via cable, eg CAT6? A wireless access point will give you WIFI from where the cable end. This is the most reliable and effective solution, and relatively cheap. Even if you need pay someone, its a one off cost unlike a 2nd VM service. 
  • Matt_LMatt_L Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, definitely not money saving but a 2nd virgin service is what im thinking. So basically you're saying, plug a cable into the current router and run it into the extension where I can plug it into a computer??
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Matt_LMatt_L Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Or could I run a cable, (cat6) from the current router, to the extension into a different router to give the entire room wifi??
  • edited 29 November 2020 at 10:08PM
    littleboolittleboo Forumite
    994 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2020 at 10:08PM
    You would connect a Wireless Access Point, not a router. That would give you Wi-fi in the extension, but connected back to the router by the cable. ( or if you have a spare router, you can configure them to work as a WAP)
  • Matt_LMatt_L Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    TimSynths said:
    As stated in my op, ive tried all that....
  • brynhhbrynhh Forumite
    39 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Please please please don't get a second line. You'd be paying for an entire service when you only need some hardware.
    Firstly, what router are you using? If the Virgin one, buy a third party reliable one, connect that to the V one and turn the V one into modem only mode. I like Asus but there's others that are just as good if not better.
    Then if that doesn't help enough, run cat6 to the extension and install an access point, ideally the same brand. Honestly, I'd be running cable to every room as it's a huge benefit long term and it's very easy. It's only our phones, thermostat and Nintendo Switch we have wireless - everything else is wired. We've run 1 cable from router to a switch in the attic, then a cable down into each room. We've not touched any walls, just used trunking and painted it and it's barely noticeable.
    Boosters, repeaters, mesh etc will only be as good as the signal it's receiving (to a degree). You could get a router, repeater, wall sockets and cable for 200-250 tops, but you'd potentially pay triple that during the 18 month contract.