edited 13 January 2018 at 8:51AM in Old Style MoneySaving
13.9K replies 889.7K views

Replies

• threepenny_bitthreepenny_bit Forumite
    322 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    caronc said:
    I was just going to my make Nigella Essential bread recipe and see my book is missing - think daughter may have borrowed it lol! Please does anyone have the Nigella domestic goddess book and could take a pic of the recipe for me? It is the essential white bread one with potato water in, hers is free form but I just pop it in a loaf tin. There is a picture of the bread on a right hand side page and recipe is on next page - you would think I would remember the whole recipe but unfortunately my brain is having problems with thinking about it haha! 

I THINK it is 
    500g Strong white bread flour
    7g dry yeast 
    1 tbsp. salt
    approx 300ml warm tap or potato water 
    1 tbsp. unsalted butter
    I'll PM it to you 
    Thankyou so much - I really appreciate seeing it written down in the actual book haha! I could almost see the recipe in the book and knew which page it was on etc. Just didnt know if my mind was remembering it correctly; better to check  before I wasted ingredients.
    Pay off credit card#1 (starting Dec 2020) 800/$4500
    Work on selling items and decluttering; sell at least $100 per month - use for c. card. Sales were December $181, January $160
    Low spend/no spend January groceries etc $138/$150
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good evening everyone, 
    Absolutely threepenny-bit always best to check, I know my memory has a habit of blending recipes when I think of them  ;)
    Pigs in blankets + pasta was a winner and there were a few spare to make a nice and naughty snack this morning :smile: . Less good was the amount of fat that came off them, I had cooked them in the air fryer and hadn't realised how much there was and managed to fling it over the cooker and floor. At the time I just covered the floor splatter with a towel and tackled the spillage this morning. Cue mishap number two, I'd used a lot of detergent to mop it up and chucked the mop head and clean up cloths in for a hot wash. Toddled off to do other things and came back to what could have been a scene from an old B horror movie to foam oozing from the washing machine and taking over the kitchen!  :s Not my finest hour.....
    Bacon butty with HM (not by me) grape and chilli jam, tomatoes and grapes. Tonight I'm CFO as my son has headed to the front room to have a virtual "pizza and beers" catch up with his mates. Dinner for me was HM cheesy croquettes from the freezer, jerk spiced chicken thighs, mushrooms and corn.

• BramblingBrambling Forumite
    2.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're not meant to wreck the kitchen before it's finished Caronc 😁 personally I usually wait until I've washed the floor before I throw food over it 🙄

i annoyed myself today today I had pushed a big used tub of 'branded' Greek yogurt to the back of the fridge and it froze  :s unfortunately when it defrosted it didn't taste right and had separated so I had to bin it - the only reason I had brought the expensive one which I do prefer was because it was on offer  :|  of course it couldn't be the cheaper Lidl one 

lunch was using up some of a egg glut I seem to have acquired so today I scrambled some  :) dinner was sweet n sour pork with veg and rice there will be LOs but that will be Tuesday as I've LO chicken to do something tomorrow 
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Misty morning here, bit chilly for my mooch round the block after breakfast
    Yesterday's roast chicken in a bag turned out fine, despite being something I wouldn't buy if I were actually in the shop, but beggars & choosing apply in theses CV days
    It tasted OK as well, with plenty LO.
    I've just completed my OL W8rose shop, yet another chicken in a multi-buy offer, but the other offer parts are Sirloin steak.

Lunch today is a posh FF + tartare sauce sarnie, thanks whoever it was that triggered this
    Dinner, LO Chicken salad was an option, now discarded due to weather. Plan B is LO chicken, chips + open tin of beans

Brambling said:
    i annoyed myself today today I had pushed a big used tub of 'branded' Greek yogurt to the back of the fridge and it froze  :s unfortunately when it defrosted it didn't taste right and had separated so I had to bin it - the only reason I had brought the expensive one which I do prefer was because it was on offer  :|  of course it couldn't be the cheaper Lidl one
    I've started using the W8rose Essential GY, since shopping on line, nice & thick but being a tightwad MSE unable to compare against the branded option :)
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good afternoon everyone, 
    I'm glad it's not just me that likes to "Jackson Pollock" a newly cleaned floor lol !
    Wet and wild her today. I hadn't realised how gusty it was until I went to put a wheelie bin out and just about toppled. It's blowing a proper hooley.
    I've had a domestic morning catching up on some of the chores that have been side-lined while kitchen is getting done. I've also pressure cook a nice looking small FR ham hock and will use the stock and some of the meat to make a pan of ham and lentil soup later. The rest of the meat will be added to the cauli, macaroni and leek pasta bake I'm making for dinner. LO chicken in a sarnie and fruit for lunch.

• threepenny_bitthreepenny_bit Forumite
    322 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    caronc said:

I'm glad it's not just me that likes to "Jackson Pollock" a newly cleaned floor lol !

ha ha ha! Love that description 
    Pay off credit card#1 (starting Dec 2020) 800/$4500
    Work on selling items and decluttering; sell at least $100 per month - use for c. card. Sales were December $181, January $160
    Low spend/no spend January groceries etc $138/$150
    2.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm never sure if I like the chicken in a bag as much as the others, could be because of the lack of the roasting chicken smell as it cooks, I know with the brined ones in bags you can't make stock with the bones.

I took my car out for a drive today as it hadn't been further than town which is only a couple of miles since my sister was here.  I drove out to the farm shop to pick up my F&V I didn't get much meat from the butcher as it wasn't needed but I did include some of their proper bacon and sausages 🙂 I hovered over their huge cauliflower which at £1.25 was really good value but far too big for CFO especially as I have half of the last smaller one I brought still in the freezer I also walked away from their celeriac for the same reason, the SM ones I buy which are half the size last me over a month, these still had their stalks and leaves on and looked really nice.  I did succumb to some Jerusalem artichokes  and rhubarb 🙂

On the way back I popped to Sainsbobs, to feed the car and pick up some none fresh stuff, having been told off last time by the cashier I picked up their smart self service device, I did get half way round and realised that I wasn't packing into my own bags as I went so ended up rather hazardously throwing things in.  I can see the problem with it being you don't tend to shop for the heavy stuff first to put in the bottom, but it definitely made the shop quicker, I'm wondering why I haven't done it before 🤔 

As as I had picked up the bacon and a crusty loaf lunch was a bacon sandwich 🙂 dinner was some of the LO chicken with AF chips and veg 
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone, 
    I have celeriac and Jerusalem artichoke envy Brambling :smile:
    Dull, damp and dreary here today though a tad milder it's still pretty cold. Apparently we have snow and ice arriving tomorrow evening!
    Just about to head for a routine mammogram and then I'm pooch sitting this afternoon.
    Thai green turkey curry and jasmine rice for dinner and HM ham & lentil soup for lunch.

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sun's out, but cold
    Nil breakfast due to fasting blood test, all completed and await results
    Lucky you with giant cauli Brambling, even though you never bought it.
    The ones I see in the Co-op lately are quite small, CFO size but not at over a quid a shot thank you
    Not had Jerusalem artichokes for years, I used to grow them and they are very pretty plants but can be invasive

Lunch was LO tinned Spam like pork luncheon meat & sliced tom sarnie
    Dinner, from the freezer, an Ice£and De Luxe mature Cheddar cheese macaroni. My first one of this range
    I still have a pair of LO roast chicken thighs which may become a casserole soon if this colder weather keeps up, no snow forecast for here though
    2.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope they warmed the plates Caronc 😁 

Farway if I didn't already half a cauliflower in my freezer I may have thought twice but TBH the size for one was a bit daunting and my sister isn't that fond of it to share.  They were lovely quality as well 🙂

i nice day doing not a lot, some pottering in the garden including cutting back my hydrangea which I usually leave until after Christmas but the gardener I had last year cut it back November and it was amazing this year, it's a white lacy one (can't remember the type) and flowers from new shoots each year.  Question for gardeners do I need to cut back my sedum or will it die back, I can't remember what I usually do 🙄

lunch was a mug of HM soup - Tesc*s Nanas Magic Soup (tomato, sweet potato & pepper finished with coconut milk) and this afternoon I washed my heavy cream cardi again 🙄 after blitzing the soup and removing the hand blender before switching off 😳 kitchen was also cleaned down 😬

dinner was LO sweet and sour pork followed by rhubarb and yogurt