Virgin Cable

PhotoBobPhotoBob Forumite
1 Post
MoneySaving Newbie
I've been with Virgin for a couple of years, usual package, landline phone, broadband and TV, using their cable which was installed, same time frame, to the whole village where
I live. Now fed up with high cost of that supply, can I swop to another cable supplier and use that same cable?
Second question, who do I go with? Yes I know I'll read all the relevant blurb on this site.
Regards,

Replies

• edited 25 November 2020 at 4:10PM
    unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 November 2020 at 4:10PM
    There is no other cable supplier. 
    Your choice is stay with Virgin or get a BT landline installed and sign up to an ISP for broadband.
    TV options are things such as Sky, NowTV,  or Freeview through an aerial etc
  • edited 25 November 2020 at 4:19PM
    matelodavematelodave Forumite
    7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 November 2020 at 4:19PM
    No, there is only one main cable supplier in the UK (although I think there may be another on the isle of Wight).

If you don't like them then you'll have to go with one of the others that use the phone landline or 4g, unless you've got fibre to the premises (FTTP) where you live.

You may well find that you can't get the speeds with a landline based system, especially if you aren't actually connected to a convenient cabinet - do some interweb searches to see whats available in your area. Other TV offerings may not be the same as Virgin.

You should also be aware that in some places there may be a bit of a waiting list so do a thorough search before jumping especially if you dont already have a BT landline phone as you'll find that you can only search down to postcode level so you probably wont be able to get a speed estimate until a landline has been installed and tested.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if there was another provider, VM would not allow them to use their provision-why would they?
    You will need a BT-based landline installing or reconnecting, the cost is the same.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)