Cooking for one (Mark Three)

edited 13 January 2018 at 9:51AM in Old Style MoneySaving
14.2K replies 910K views

Replies

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Today was X Ray day, Covid is a cloud with a silver lining.
    My local hospital parking is from hell, usually with long queues onto main approach roads
    A revelation today, went right in, free of traffic, loads of spaces, which flummoxed my lift with too many spaces to pick from
    Waiting area was empty, normally everyone seems to have same time for appointment so WA is bursting, I barely had time to squirt hands & sit down before it was me in  twenty minutes before my appointment was due,I was early because had allowed for "normal" traffic, and there was none

Post X ray off to garden centre for tea & a cheese scone = lunch
    Mooch around the attached Farm Shop, probably return nearer Christmas for posh stuff., like chutney & maybe cheese
    Nearly dropped dead when I spotted a FR fresh chicken @ thirteen quid, I was thinking of something like that for XCFO, Covid dependant of course, but not at that price

Dinner is another stab & ping, today is Ice£and luxury lamb moussaka, a new one to me so fingers crossed
  • BramblingBrambling Forumite
    2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is you're local hospital QA Farway

Someone has stolen my get up and go  :( so a early night is due in the hope that I've left it in bed 😳 I'm off next Monday & Tuesday to use up some holiday so only four more days before a long weekend, I know I shouldn't wish my life away   :#  

lunch was spinach and ricotta cannelloni from the freezer and dinner a lazy tomato and cheese pizza also from the freezer with some added vegetables 
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone, 
    Fingers crossed your test results are okay Farway, my son reported the same here when he was attending the fracture clinic and was in and out in no time.
    Chocolate definitely sounds well deserved greenbee!
    Hope you found your get up and go Brambling 
    Cold and wet here this morning, my new mattress should arrive over lunchtime. I'm not sure if it will be boxed and need unrolled or if it can go straight on my bed. I spend ages yesterday cleaning my bedroom and sorting out the storage. My I shed a lot of hair and where does all that dust come from!! shock
    I'm pooch sitting today as my sis has to physically go to work today, he's snoozing peacefully on the sofa after a bit of mad tear around when he arrived. He's certainly lost any wariness he had around being lefty here. 
    JO sausage pasta didn't happen yesterday, too much chaos going on and I was shattered after all the cleaning. Instead we had RM lasagnes with garlic bread and broccoli which was just fine. I've chicken defrosting to make a quick Thai green curry tonight. I'll add various veg to it and we'll have it with a pouch of nuked rice so minimal prep or cooking required. I think until the mucky work in the kitchen is done that meals will continue to be quick and easy as it's just too much hassle otherwise.

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brambling said:
    Is you're local hospital QA Farway?
    Yep, that's it, are you familiar with the normal parking chaos?
    Hoping that whatever the NHS is doing now regarding prompt & seen on schedule appointments continues post covid and doesn't revert backwards
    Having a holiday in a lock down while WFH sounds like holiday robbery, but at least you don't need to be available on the computer I suppose
    The X ray results will be about a week they say.
    I failed my blood test so have to get a full on fasting one next week, these days it's at the GP surgery so anticipating quick in & out as before

Small excursion this morning, milk is running out, I have more coming tomorrow but thought it may not last to then
    I had hoped for banana in the Co-op but just an empty banana shelf. :s
    Topped up with couple of packs of multi-buy offer on PB baguettes, BBE is end Jan 2021 so good for XCFO standby
    Plus a nice pack of YS on the vine toms. The Co-op toms so far are nice but not cheap

Lunch was last of the PB rolls, with cheese & Branston filling
    Dinner, frozen formed from cod fillet, with HM AF chips & frozen peas

Yesterday's deluxe Ice£land lamb moussaka was tasty, I'd buy that again
    It was part of a multi buy, still have the deluxe cauli cheese to try

• BramblingBrambling Forumite
    2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Farway I was a student in Pompey many many years ago and a friend who lives near gosport threatened divorce last year after her husband lost his cool over waiting for her to have a minor procedure at QA and the parking, I think he drove round and round he car park 🙄 and got really annoyed as they were running very late.  

It a case of use the holiday or lose it, I will also be carrying 13 days over into next year as well, although 5 days will be taken the first week of the new year to extend my Christmas time off 

Caronc I hope the mattress turned up ok and you have a good night sleep 🙂

I'm still looking for my get up and go I think his lordship may have stolen it as he was full of beans today and a real PITA 😳 I had to rescue my keyboard cable from his mouth this afternoon and he somehow managed to put me on mute twice by trampling over the keyboard🙄 

I used the last of the LO beef for lunch and dinner, lunch was a roast beef and horseradish sandwich and dinner I added a jacket potato and LO cabbage and green beans
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • geminiladygeminilady Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Brambling De lurking to say I feel your pain about the cat I sit at a desktop and mine is always stepping on my keyboard and turning the computer off,then I have to wait ages for it to start up again.I would post but usually only have one meal a day unless I am on holiday then I have the cooked breakfast
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone, 
    Hello geminilady, I was looking after my sister's pooch yesterday and he spend a chunk of the afternoon sitting on my son's lap while he was in a Zoom meeting with his work mates.
    Dry and cold here this morning though it's to rain this afternoon.
    My stove is being swept today so I need to get cracking and sort the room out so they can get a clear path to it with their kit. A mug first is needed though.
    My new mattress arrived and was able to be used straightaway. It feels strange but is very comfy.
    Breaded haddock from the freezer for dinner with baked spuds, spinach, peas and green beans.

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    'morning all, I'm having maintenance heating work as well Caron, gas boiler service, he's in the cupboard right now as I isolate in the front with door shut
    Trouble is my boiler is in the airing cupboard so I've had to decant all the contents this morning with job for later of stuffing neatly arranging them back in

This afternoon is @sda on line delivery, my dinner depends on the Use by dates on the chilled items, use earliest first
    So could be salmon fillet or vegan bangers tonight, will be with HM AF chips either way, the rest will vary depending on main item
    Lunch is the old CFO standby of LO cold pizza from Sunday
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Update, boiler completed without hassle, groceries delivered, failed on vegan bangers, OOS, subbed Asda 2 x C & O pasties for 1 x Ginster's
    Thus dinner is salmon fillet fried in butter & olive oil, with HM chips + salad
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad the boiler service was hassle-free, ditto the chimney sweeping. In and out in all of 20 mins apparently I look after it really well! House insurance valid for another 12 months :smiley: