Hi there, 
I know there are lots of threads on various forums regarding the tactics of this organisation.

I received an email on Friday, out of the blue, from Bank Smart.  At first I thought it was a scam but when I logged on to their website, it related to packaged bank account, which I successfully claimed against in 2017 via a company called Ascend Finance.  It appears that Ascend sold on some of their accounts to Bank Smart and mine was probably one of them.  I only claimed for the packaged bank account via Ascend - nothing relating to PPI etc.   It is says they are reviewing my case which they opened in April 2019. 'your claim is being finalised - we are currently reviewing the claim to ensure all available refunds have been made. Please notify us of any settlements you receive direct'.  The compensation I received, and the fee paid to Ascend, would have been from my old TSB current account.  I am going to into branch today to obtain statements to proof that I received the money and Ascend were paid their fee.   I vaguely remember getting what I thought was junk mail ages ago from Claims Management companies - it would have just been ripped up and put in the bin.  I had no reason to pursue any further claim as the case was settled in 2017.    

I have never signed anything with Bank Smart, or given them any agreement to carry out any further work on my behalf.   I don't have any physical paperwork from Ascend but do have emails.    Now I am concerned that they will charge me for work carried out, even though there is unlikely to be anything that they can claim on my behalf??   I have emailed them requesting further details and I will send them a subject access request if they are un-cooperative.   Anyone else had a similar experience, or can provide any advice. 

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    32.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your case was legitimately transferred to Bank Smart, then the same terms will apply.  That will normally include charging a fee on any and all redress.

Ask them for a copy of the contract so you can check for yourself.
  • kazm70kazm70 Forumite
    4 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks. I have already asked them to provide the details although I don't understand what extra money they would be able to claim on my behalf on a case that was settled 2 years prior. 
  • edited 2 November 2020 at 2:18PM
    zx81zx81 Forumite
    32.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 November 2020 at 2:18PM
    It's not for that case.

It's for any other case they rummaged around for.
  • kazm70kazm70 Forumite
    4 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Ok. The natwest case is the only case listed when I log in.  Doesn't show anything else. Anyway will wait to see what they say. They are a bunch of sharks, legislate or not