CMA and Direct Cremations

2»

Replies

• TechnosaurusTechnosaurus Forumite
    49 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    First and foremost, I wish you all the best with your health - that's the number one priority!

Interesting numbers from the Guardian there, ones I can't argue with in any way! I can only speak from personal experience in my immediate local area - West & South Yorkshire - when I say that every crematorium I work in, both council-owned and privately-owned, have kept their base fees the same (or with small increases in line with inflation) in the 5 years that I have worked in the industry. 

I think funeral costs will reduce once consumers have more informed decision making, but I'd be surprised if the savings come from the actual cremation fees - unless of course there's a raft of planning applications for new crematoria up and down the land providing additional capacity (which again, I'm not aware of!)

But aside from all this, I wish you all the best with your health and good luck in ensuring your affairs are adequately arranged should the worst happen.
  • AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    19.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mumum said:
    Thank you Sue, the executors of my will want me to have my affairs in order, especially as they would not have immediate access to my bank account upon my death. To purchase ahead would cost approx £1500 (there is only my son and I and we both agree we want a direct cremation), and £1000 if I bought at time of need (at today's prices). With prices rising approx £100/yr it would take 5 yrs of me living in order to have made buying ahead cost effective. I'm happy to take that risk and to please my executors, however I'm tempted to hold off the purchase if prices are likely to come significantly tumbling down in the light of the CMA investigations. I would go with Age Concern/Dignity as they meet my needs best (I looked into local),  Buying now to avoid the rising funeral costs is a good idea only if they're not going to come down if new regulations are brought in. Alternatively, of course, the already basic direct funeral package could continue to go up above inflation and I'd be worse off not buying now. Its frustrating not knowing what to do!

Presented with a death certificate and funeral bill pretty much all banks will allow access for that reason and indeed "smaller amounts" maybe under £10k or so they will just transfer the money to the holder of the DC. I did this myself with a couple of banks my mum had money in the week or two after she died.
    So if thats your only concern i dont think you need worry.
  • MumumMumum Forumite
    127 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    Mumum said:
    Thank you Sue, the executors of my will want me to have my affairs in order, especially as they would not have immediate access to my bank account upon my death. To purchase ahead would cost approx £1500 (there is only my son and I and we both agree we want a direct cremation), and £1000 if I bought at time of need (at today's prices). With prices rising approx £100/yr it would take 5 yrs of me living in order to have made buying ahead cost effective. I'm happy to take that risk and to please my executors, however I'm tempted to hold off the purchase if prices are likely to come significantly tumbling down in the light of the CMA investigations. I would go with Age Concern/Dignity as they meet my needs best (I looked into local),  Buying now to avoid the rising funeral costs is a good idea only if they're not going to come down if new regulations are brought in. Alternatively, of course, the already basic direct funeral package could continue to go up above inflation and I'd be worse off not buying now. Its frustrating not knowing what to do!

Presented with a death certificate and funeral bill pretty much all banks will allow access for that reason and indeed "smaller amounts" maybe under £10k or so they will just transfer the money to the holder of the DC. I did this myself with a couple of banks my mum had money in the week or two after she died.
    So if thats your only concern i dont think you need worry.
    Thank you, I am also wanting to buy a direct cremation as cheaply as possible, hence concerning myself as to whether prices are likely to rise, in line with other funerals, or drop. 
  • SevenOfNineSevenOfNine Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm afraid that however many times, & however many people try to answer, it's going to remain the same, it's a guess. Nothing more.

Cheaper/dearer at any unknown point in the future would just be speculation. Personally I don't see direct cremation costs going in any direction but UP. Determined by the Local Authority for the cost of body disposal & their own profit margin needs. But then, I anticipate all costs for everything to rise!

You might catch a 'sale', who knows!
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.