Atrixa's Saving Diaries

edited 25 January at 6:20PM in How much have you saved?
410 replies 26.6K views

Replies

• Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I was just sitting “resting” whilst decorating the other day & happened to look up at the ceiling fan with 3 lamp shades and was deeply ashamed at the thick dust on them 😆 Well maybe not that ashamed but I did put that job on my list of things to do ! 

Riotlady I will send you my box of shredding 😉
    0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    House sale/ purchase costs to date 31/5/22
    Insurance 2 x £90 Searches £300. Survey £600
    Aiming to retire early age 60 🥳
  • Hello atrixa, well done on sorting your housey out. It is such a good feeling. 
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    463 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Another payday come and gone! I got a bonus this month from work so there's an extra £580 for house related stuff.
    Other savings looking like this:
    Sinking funds £724.98
    Emergency Fund £1,124.64
    Anything house related inc deposit: £10,924.15
    Not too shabby. I'll be working on that emergency fund much harder as soon as I'm moved in.
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    14.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    That's jumped up nicely hasn't it 😃
    It'll all be worth it when you're in your own home 🤗
    6.6K Posts
    Forumite
    Great bonus Atrixa 😊 your savings are increasing nicely 
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    463 Posts
    Forumite
    It's been a while since I updated. The house purchase went through, and I'm now in the 'spending all the money' phase. I've got about £5k left over now that I've paid for the solicitors (everything was much cheaper than I thought and I didn't understand how the H2B ISA worked, so I didn't need the whole deposit, yey!), and moving will be a DIY job so that won't cost much. So far, I've mostly spent money on wallpaper stripping and cleaning supplies, but I'll have some tradespeople come round this week to do some work.
    The previous owners left the place in an absolute STATE. If anyone has any tips on how to get really bad limescale out of a toilet I'm all ears. I've tried scrubbing, those tablet thingies, scrubbing, bleach, more tablets, more scrubbing etc. I've only just managed to get the smell out of the kitchen today, too. The fridge is still a bit whiffy. I'm so glad I didn't plan to move in straight away! I've got a few weeks where I can do some maintenance and redecorate a few rooms when I'm not working. I'm very excited to make the place my own :smiley:
    6.6K Posts
    Forumite
    Congratulations on your new home atrixa 😊 

A mixture of bicarb & lemon juice may get rid of the smell in the fridge. I have heard the best thing to get rid of limescale in a toilet is really cheap cola. I seem to remember “Kim & Aggie” tv show doing it too. There are some clips on u tube that show how. Apparently the cheaper the cola the better & not diet cola. I’ve never tried it but let us know how you get on if you give it a go. 

I’m sure it will be lovely once you’ve done the maintenance & redecorated and made it your own 🤗
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    14.6K Posts
    Forumite
    Congratulations, I'm so pleased it went through and you will be settling in soon.

Seems we both got unlucky with the outgoing people of our homes. That's one of the reasons I say to FTB allow an overlap and expect to go in and clean for a few days 😬

Bicarb is a great thing to have in the house as it deals with a multitude of things, including smells! Leave the fridge door open, do a bicarb and lemon paste, use it all over the fridge and clean the door seals too. Years ago there were fridge eggs to put in if it wasn't too nice, but the bicarb should do it.

You can also make up an air neutraliser. Get a small jar, put a few tablespoons of bicarb in and a few drops of your favourite essential oil, leave it in a corner somewhere and the bicarb takes the smell away, the essential oil adds a new fresh one.
    (I don't think you have pets, but if you do, leave the oil out and go with bicarb only)

I know it's cold now, but do try and open a few windows when you are there, air circulation is needed, even just for 10 minutes.

The cola trick does work. Years ago I ended up putting a whole bottle down of the branded one as it was flat. Made me question what it does to stomachs after that 😁

Looking forward to hearing more!
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    463 Posts
    Forumite
    Thank you so much for the tips, both! I never would have though of cola, I'll grab a bottle tomorrow morning. I've got plenty of bicarb and lemon juice lying about from baking, too.
    I've stripped all the walls in the bedroom now, so I just need to fill any cracks/holes and prep the walls, then I'm good to paint. I picked up some samples today. I want to put up a picture rail, too. I can see a line where there used to be one. I had a glance at the pile of documents left by the vendors today and it's got details of the first couple who bought the house in the 1900's. I'll have to go through it with a glass of wine at some point, it's such a lovely bit of history.
    I've got some issues with the electrics, so I've got a sparky coming tomorrow to hopefully sort those. I've got a hideous feeling it might need a rewire, but it might be best to just do that now anyway as they're disruptive.
    14.6K Posts
    Forumite
    What colours have you got in mind? We like details so it's easier to visualise.
    Don't preempt the sparky, see what he says and if this isn't someone you know get other quotes.

Enjoy the old deeds, they are a pleasure to read.