Amex Gold to Rewards Card Downgrade

in Credit cards
17 replies 1.6K views
2»

Replies

• jondave said:
    Thanks for the replys has anyone managed to change from the Gold card to the Rewards card or do you have to open a new card and close the old, either way looks a simple process to do.
    Don't see why they wouldn't downgrade these cards as they do up/downgrade between the Platinum and Gold cards and between the different BA cards.
    They were doing it back when the pandemic was more "rife" for those that weren't utilising the travel benefits.

As said already, just make sure you speak to the Brighton call centre as they are more forgiving in doing it than the US call centres.

There is no upgrade to Platinum from Gold as Platinum is a chargecard and Gold is a credit card.

If you do have to apply for a new card make sure you follow the other advice given above as well - "If you have to make a new application, make sure you get the Reward card first, then request the credit limit from your Gold card be consolidated to the Rewards card, and then close the Gold card down."
  • jondavejondave Forumite
    10 Posts
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks, does anyone have a Amex referral link so we both get some extra points?
  • D3xt3r5L4bD3xt3r5L4b Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    jondave said:
    Thanks, does anyone have a Amex referral link so we both get some extra points?
    I’ll private message you 
  • edited 12 October 2020 at 1:12AM
    The_UrbaniteThe_Urbanite Forumite
    322 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 12 October 2020 at 1:12AM
    jondave said:
    Thanks for the replys has anyone managed to change from the Gold card to the Rewards card or do you have to open a new card and close the old, either way looks a simple process to do.
    Don't see why they wouldn't downgrade these cards as they do up/downgrade between the Platinum and Gold cards and between the different BA cards.
    I never managed to get a Gold Credit card changed to the Rewards Credit card. Amex always told me that it required a new application, best way to check is to speak to them as the goalposts seem to move with time.

The charge cards are different. You can upgrade from Green or Gold to Platinum. You can also downgrade from Platinum to Gold or Green. These days the easiest way of getting the Gold charge card is to downgrade from Platinum. 
  • jay1804jay1804 Forumite
    406 Posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    jondave said:
    I never managed to get a Gold Credit card changed to the Rewards Credit card. Amex always told me that it required a new application, best way to check is to speak to them as the goalposts seem to move with time.

The charge cards are different. You can upgrade from Green or Gold to Platinum. You can also downgrade from Platinum to Gold or Green. These days the easiest way of getting the Gold charge card is to downgrade from Platinum. 
    I thought the Gold Charge Card was no longer available unless it's a supplementary card for a platinum account?
  • jay1804 said:
    jondave said:

I thought the Gold Charge Card was no longer available unless it's a supplementary card for a platinum account?
    It’s not advertised to the public anymore but you can downgrade from the Platinum charge card to the Gold charge card and it’s fee free for the first 12 months (with the same benefits etc. as the Gold credit card). 
  • edited 11 January 2021 at 4:30PM
    ShowMeTheDoughShowMeTheDough Forumite
    60 Posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 11 January 2021 at 4:30PM
    jondave said:
    Hi Jondave, did you manage to do this in the end? 

I am in the same boat, my Gold credit card is approaching the 12 month point and I want to cancel before I'm charged the annual fee, but at the same time want to keep the points I have accumulated over the year. The fee free rewards card seems the best option for me. 

Any pointers would be appreciated! 

Thanks.

EDIT - Ignore me, I have just realised you were only applying for the card a few months back!

If anyone else has managed it, please let me know!