Kelly kettle

Just wondered if anyone had used one of these? I recently got one as I'm starting to build up camping supplies but I thought I might sometimes use it when the sun's not out and I would otherwise have to pay to boil the kitchen kettle. The Mrs thinks it's a bit obsessive given how little I'd save but I think better in my pocket than theirs!

Replies

• EctophileEctophile Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have used one.  If you have a supply of dry fuel, they are very effective and can boil a kettle of water in just a few minutes.  You need a supply of kindling (newspaper is good),and plenty of dry seasoned twigs.  Green twigs won't burn, and damp twigs will take a lot longer and lots of blowing on them to get anywhere.  Alternatively, smash up offcuts of construction wood, packing cases and the like.
    If yours comes with a big cork on a chain, do not put the cork in the spout while boiling the kettle.  It's only for keeping rubbish out while it's being stored.
    If you boil only half a kettle, be very careful when pouring it.  As the water hits the hot metal above the water line, it can flash boil, sending a fountain of hot water and steam out of the spout.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • M0neyM0ney Forumite
    484 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Cool, thanks for that. I'm away working at the moment so I will give it a try when I'm home. No issue with supply of kindling and small offcuts of wood, I have a multifuel stove and I source and cut more of my own wood and often end up with an excess of kindling and crappy little bits of wood that's too small and fiddly for the fire. Though I wondered about pine cones, are they good for burning straight away if I do go away camping and want to save the hassle of bringing lots of firewood?
  • joefizzjoefizz Forumite
    676 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Ive the ghillie kettle and find the pot attachment quite useful, even if it is for heating up a couple of sausage rolls along with my cuppa!
    Dont know if Id be bothered with it on the patio though but very useful out fishing, camping and even campervanning.
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pine cones burn nicely when dry and opened.  I don't suppose closed-up ones would be much use.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.