Tax on Shares

in Cutting Tax
3 replies 131 views
Adamshaw1982Adamshaw1982 Forumite
1 Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi, I was awarded shares for the company I work for, which is an American private company. We've just been bought out and I've been made aware of what my shares are worth, and that they will be paid out once the acquisition is closed. I'm being told by some that this could be a capital gains tax, and others that this will likely be processed through payroll and I'll pay 47%. It's a significant amount of money so really hoping the ensure I know the correct status, if anyone can help!?


  • Sibbers123Sibbers123 Forumite
    318 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    It will depend on what type of shares they are and how the shares were awarded. It is possible that you will be subject to income tax and national insurance on the consideration. If this is the case, your payroll department will deal with it.
  • p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I don't see how payroll could possibly deal with CGT as they will have no idea what other gains or losses you have during the year or how much of your CGT allowance is available to you. Income tax, if applicable,  is another matter though
  • edited 29 September 2020 at 7:59PM
    HappyHarryHappyHarry Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 29 September 2020 at 7:59PM
    It is usual for US company shares (employer provided ones) to be liable for income tax and NI rather than CGT. US company shares tend not to have the same tax-favoured status as UK shares, and so do not have the option of CGT liability.

    If the shares are liable to NI and income tax, your payroll will be able to deal with them. 

    You may may be able to salary sacrifice some of the gains into a pension to avoid immediate taxation.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals