IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Car tax and address

Hi everyone, 

So before I start I have been a complete idiot and I understand that I have been.
So today I decided to check my car tax online and realized I was a year overdue. This in itself is an issue so I have now paid for my tax for the year but I am worried that I have unpaid fines that I do not know about.
Looking at my registered car address it was registered to a address that I was not expecting and have not lived their for a year. I am now worried that there are loads of fines gone to this address and I am unaware of what has come through.

I am looking for advice more than anything. Do I just wait for something to come through the post now I have changed the address or is it better to ring the DVLA to check if they have posted anything.

Thanks in advance


  • edited 29 July 2020 at 8:14PM
    FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    52.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 29 July 2020 at 8:14PM
    Have you now updated your address with the DVLA for both the V5C and your driving licence?

    Don't ring the DVLA but write/email and ask them who has requested your personal data from say a month before you moved to the current date. That should furnish you with the names of any council or private parking scammer who have done this and tell you whether you have anything to worry about.
    Say to the DVLA that you believe this service is free.

    Put dates for tax and MoT on a calendar and/or set up for DVLA reminders.

    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    35.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    As per @Fruitcake's advice, email the DVLA and ask which organisations (when and for what reason) accessed the registered keeper's data from them between a range of dates. You need to provide the registered keeper's full name and address, the address on the V5C logbook and the Vehicle Registration Mark of the vehicle involved in the parking incident. 

    This service is free of charge. 

    Even though you email your request, the DVLA will respond via Royal Mail.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • SmatsSmats Forumite
    5 Posts
    First Post
    Thanks both. I will email them tomorrow. I hope I am worrying for nothing.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest News and Guides

£10-£50 London theatre tickets

For over 45 shows in January and February

MSE Deal

Join the 1p Savings Challenge 2022!

It should help you save £667.95

MSE Forum