Brand new waterproof boots leaking

Replies

• Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you look at the worst reviews here, two of the first three complain about immediate leaking between sole and upper.

And a couple of reviews on Merrell's own website complain about a seam in the waterproof(?) lining.  In one of these the seam split causing the boots to leak.

Apart from those, people seem to love them.

Not sure how much I'd worry about fully drying them out before returning.  Have you asked Cotswold?

• ripplyukripplyuk Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apart from those, people seem to love them.

Not sure how much I'd worry about fully drying them out before returning.  Have you asked Cotswold?

No, I just read on the website that returns must be ‘clean and dry’ or their staff won’t handle them. I assume it’s a health&safety thing. 

Thanks for the links. Reading through those, I found another review rating them at 4 stars but saying they always leak if walking in wet grass. Other reviews say they are totally waterproof walking in wet grass. It’s so weird how they can all be talking about the same boots! 

Mine have a seem inside, running from the toe right up to the tongue, with another seam at the heel. 
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    3K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    ripplyuk said:
    comeandgo said:
    I've never heard of M select dry, my boots are gortex or AQ waterproof.  Did you wax them prior to using them?  Wet grass is the worst thing for boots, showers or puddles ok but continually walking in wet grass can leak through.  
    If it was my purchase, and I had waxed them and they still let water in I'd return them.
    No, I didn’t wax them. They’re brand new boots and I wouldn’t expect to have to proof them myself immediately. Normally I do it weekly with nikwax spray-on. I’ve never had a problem with other boots. Even my old Anatom’s are still fully waterproof, a year later. 

I think I’ll return these and get a different brand, once they dry out! 
    You shouldn't have to wax brand new boots, whoever makes them, to make them waterproof! What a daft comment by ripplyuk.
    My opinions are strictly my own. The forum advises everyone to double-check all information given by any forumite to ensure accuracy. Once commented, I rarely return to a thread, as per this "the moving finger writes and, having writ, moves on" (origin Omar Khayyam). I aspire to the (corny but true) saying - in a world where you can be anything, please be kind.
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    3K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's probably just a faulty pair but like you say, best to return them and buy more elsewhere. They aren't 'fit for purpose'. I'm a bit concerned that you have to return them dry because does that mean they'll sell them again? Still, that's not your problem. You're entitled to a full refund. 
    My opinions are strictly my own. The forum advises everyone to double-check all information given by any forumite to ensure accuracy. Once commented, I rarely return to a thread, as per this "the moving finger writes and, having writ, moves on" (origin Omar Khayyam). I aspire to the (corny but true) saying - in a world where you can be anything, please be kind.
    6.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    MalMonroe said:
    ripplyuk said:
    comeandgo said:
    I've never heard of M select dry, my boots are gortex or AQ waterproof.  Did you wax them prior to using them?  Wet grass is the worst thing for boots, showers or puddles ok but continually walking in wet grass can leak through.  
    If it was my purchase, and I had waxed them and they still let water in I'd return them.
    No, I didn’t wax them. They’re brand new boots and I wouldn’t expect to have to proof them myself immediately. Normally I do it weekly with nikwax spray-on. I’ve never had a problem with other boots. Even my old Anatom’s are still fully waterproof, a year later. 

I think I’ll return these and get a different brand, once they dry out! 
    You shouldn't have to wax brand new boots, whoever makes them, to make them waterproof! What a daft comment by ripplyuk.
    No.  ripplyuk was responding to comenago's question asking whether she had waxed them before first use.

• AlexMacAlexMac Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think we're overthinking this. I bought a "waterproof and breathable" jacket   once.
    -  Reputable  brand. 
    -  Reputable supplier. 
    -  Jacket leaked 1st time out (Pen Y Fan if you must know).
    Returned it.
    Replaced.
    No hassle.

So as Dirty Harry says "you gotta ask yourself, punk. D'ya feel lucky?"

Or are you simply going to rely on good old fashioned UK consumer protection?
    2.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    AlexMac said:
    I think we're overthinking this. I bought a "waterproof and breathable" jacket   once.
    -  Reputable  brand. 
    -  Reputable supplier. 
    -  Jacket leaked 1st time out (Pen Y Fan if you must know).
    Returned it.
    Replaced.
    No hassle.

So as Dirty Harry says "you gotta ask yourself, punk. D'ya feel lucky?"

Or are you simply going to rely on good old fashioned UK consumer protection?
    I’m going to return them. I’m just not sure if I should get another pair. If two pairs leak, then Cotswolds will be thinking I’m a time waster. On the other hand, I’ve tried so many other boots before finding these ones that actually fit, I’m reluctant to start that search again. 
    6.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well the fit is crucial, so I'd risk another pair and see what they're like.  I'm not necessarily recommending this, but if they fit like a glove, but still leak, you could consider this... 

I've got a pair of Zamberlan Ultralites that must be nearly 30 years old and which I still use when it snows here.  Many years ago I rendered them completely waterproof by treating them with Nikwax and (gently) heating them by a gas fire, until the Nikwax melted into a gloss like coat.  They never leak.  Strangely enough I was in our local Cotswold store a couple of weeks ago and mentioned this to the assistant in the boot dept. and he just smiled and said it was a well-known method of water-proofing, although he suggested using a hairdryer and not a gas fire.

Before I retired I'd walk to work if it snowed and I'd wear them all day including in the office.  Say up to ten hours a day.  No sweaty feet and no cracked leather.

Obviously this is a step of no return - both literally and metaphorically!  I only did it as an experiment after I thought theyd reached the end of their useful hill walking life.  I was surprised and very pleased with the results.
    2.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Manxman_in_exile I have an old pair of boots that I’d like to try that on 🙂. What nikwax did you use for that? I normally use the spray-on one. 
    6.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I used the sort of "semi-solid" Nikwax that you have to smear on and rub in.  It's the one that comes in a flattish round tin about 4 inches in diameter with one of those funny little "clips" that you turn to open the tin - like old fashioned shoe polish.  I think it's either based on beeswax or it actually is beeswax.  Try a hairdyer on different heat settings.  As I recall you can actually see the wax "melting" and smoothing out.  CLEARLY - be careful and don't start a fire or set light to yourself if you try it!

One of the reasons I tried it was because I really liked the boots (they really were ultra light), but the leather on the uppers was beginning to crack and I was experimenting with trying to seal the cracks.  It did work, but obviously you run the risk of ruining a pair of boots so trying them on an old pair you might otherwise chuck out is a good idea.  They come out a bit shiny  :)  and obviously it spoils the look of Nubuck, but some people wax Nubuck boots straight out of the box anyway.