Shocked by shocks!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
15 replies 2.3K views
2»

Replies

• AllexieAllexie Forumite
    3.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This gives you tips on how to avoid shocks ,for instance hold the metal part of the car door when getting out,until you are completely out ,stops the build up from the carseat material ;D

http://www.static-sol.com/articles/static_shocks.htm

thanks traf...fascinating read...answered a lot of my queries... :D
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• i had a terrible time with this at my old work, used to get painful shocks all the time, even though my shoes had rubber soles. someone suggested using tumble dryer sheets like bounce in the tumble dryer. i didn't always use them, but since i've used them everytime i use my tumble dryer, i don't get shocks anymore. might help someone. :)
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • Tim_LTim_L Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Rubber shoes will make this worse, as they'll build up your static charge because it can't gradually discharge through your feet.

It's touching something that is earthed that discharges the charge you've built up (thousands of volts in fact). Not dangerous, but uncomfortable and it can destroy electronic equipment.

It's worst in dry atmospheres with nylon based carpets. You can get sprays to improve the conductivity of the carpet (which dissapates the charge via your feet). I had two techniques when this was a problem in the office, firstly to tightly grasp a key and use this to discharge the static onto a filing cabinet, and the other was to lightly touch the small of the back of a colleague with an outstretched finger, which had the effect of making him leap about 20 feet in the air swearing revenge.
  • AllexieAllexie Forumite
    3.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ......... and the other was to lightly touch the small of the back of a colleague with an outstretched finger, which had the effect of making him leap about 20 feet in the air swearing revenge.

now this me likeeee ;D ;D ;D
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• 1601199616011996 Forumite
    8.3K posts

I had two techniques when this was a problem in the office, firstly to tightly grasp a key and use this to discharge the static onto a filing cabinet, and the other was to lightly touch the small of the back of a colleague with an outstretched finger, which had the effect of making him leap about 20 feet in the air swearing revenge.

lol. ;D ;D