Forum Home» Sports and Fitness MoneySaving

They said I could freeze my membership for free

New Post Advanced Search

They said I could freeze my membership for free

2 replies 161 views
jazbeejazbee Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Just before lockdown when the gym was still open, I received an email from them said I could freeze my membership free for as long as I like. Because of the uncertainty over when the pandemic would be over and whether there would be a second wave I said I wanted to freeze it until 1/1/2021. Now they have emailed my friend who froze hers as well until 1/1/2021 saying they are superseding this and we can have it free until 1st Sept then they have to pay 25% of the monthly fee if they still wish to freeze it. I am expecting a similar email from them. Is this something they can legally do or have I any consumer rights ?

Replies

• bradders1983bradders1983 Forumite
    4.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who is "they"?

If "they" is David Lloyd there are already two threads on the go in the Coronavirus Supporr section. 
  • vitaweatvitaweat Forumite
    331 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    jazbee said:
    Just before lockdown when the gym was still open, I received an email from them said I could freeze my membership free for as long as I like. Because of the uncertainty over when the pandemic would be over and whether there would be a second wave I said I wanted to freeze it until 1/1/2021. Now they have emailed my friend who froze hers as well until 1/1/2021 saying they are superseding this and we can have it free until 1st Sept then they have to pay 25% of the monthly fee if they still wish to freeze it. I am expecting a similar email from them. Is this something they can legally do or have I any consumer rights ?
    Yes.They offered you  a contract variation that you accepted.  They have now offered you a second contract variation that you wish to decline.

Tell them you do not agree to the change in contract terms.  Then the ball is in their court.