Latest Government giveaway

New Post Advanced Search

Latest Government giveaway

13 replies 1.1K views
duncanthedogduncanthedog Forumite
3.9K posts
1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
Just wondering how I can get some of this free money that the Government seems so keen to give away.
I am 60, I retired on a personal pension (SIPP) at 55, I don't qualify for any benefits at all, mortgage free, don't eat out, no intention of moving house and the house I am in is already insulated up to and over the eyeballs.
I always seem to miss out on these things simply because I was prudent and worked hard all my days so that I could retire early.

Replies

• greyteam1959greyteam1959 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just wondering how I can get some of this free money that the Government seems so keen to give away.
    I am 60, I retired on a personal pension (SIPP) at 55, I don't qualify for any benefits at all, mortgage free, don't eat out, no intention of moving house and the house I am in is already insulated up to and over the eyeballs.
    I always seem to miss out on these things simply because I was prudent and worked hard all my days so that I could retire early.
    Same here........

• edited 11 July at 10:30PM
    MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    910 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 11 July at 10:30PM
    I'm another who won't get anything and has retired too. Oh well! I'm very proud of having been prudent and not being a sponger myself. Even if I AM as poor as a church (or any other kind of) mouse. (I AM!) 
  • sharpe106sharpe106 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I am really lucky I might get a half price nandos.
  • SterlingtimesSterlingtimes Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I have just retired at 64. I too qualify for nothing in the ordinary course of events. However, I do receive a drug from the NHS that cost them £2,500 a month. 
    Solar installed 21 November 2014 > Centre of England > 3,780 Wp > 14 *270 Watt Trina panels > 14 * Enphase micro-inverters > managed by Enlighten Envoy Hub > 19° west of south > 35° pitch > tree shading to east > iBoost > Wattson Anywhere monitoring > Schneider Electric (Drayton) MiGenie smart thermostat.
  • greyteam1959greyteam1959 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    😲😲😲😲😲😲😲....

• edited 14 July at 12:49PM
    epm-84epm-84 Forumite
    2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 July at 12:49PM
    The 'eat out giveaway' is to incentivise people who aren't planning to eat out to go and spend money in restaurants.  It also only applies for Mon-Wed so will mean many people who work won't be able to use it due to work commitments.  You're just the sort of person the chancellor is hoping to tempt in to going to a restaurant to spend money.  Note the Chancellor doesn't want to primarily help me, you or any other individual he wants to primarily help businesses.  The green home grants programme goes hand in hand with the apprenticeship programme - there's no point creating apprentices if there's no work for them to do.

While I'm much younger than you I do think the government does not reward people for doing the right thing.  Something David Cameron constantly said that shouldn't be the case but the Conservatives have in many ways made worse.  For example, Universal Credit is reduced if you have over £6,000 in savings so if you buy a brand new car and wipe out your savings you become eligible for the full amount of UC if you became unemployed or have your hours reduced.  However, if you instead spend £4000 on a second car and keep £9000 in savings the state penalises you for sensible spending if you become unemployed.  
  • duncanthedogduncanthedog Forumite
    3.9K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    @emp-84The 'eat out giveaway' is to incentivise people who aren't planning to eat out to go and spend money in restaurants.  It also only applies for Mon-Wed so will mean many people who work won't be able to use it due to work commitments.  You're just the sort of person the chancellor is hoping to tempt in to going to a restaurant to spend money.  Note the Chancellor doesn't want to primarily help me, you or any other individual he wants to primarily help businesses.

If I have no spare money nor a desire to eat out then paying for half of it would not tempt me to do so, paying the full amount would still not tempt me to eat out.
  • belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don’t forget though you’ve had a lifetime to buy and insulate your house and to build up your pension pot, many of those getting help under government schemes are younger and have only been working 5-10 years and possibly have young children as well. They are in the season of life where losing a couple of paycheques can be terrifying. We have all been there. I’m 10 years younger than you and I’m counting myself very lucky to have been born when I was, I had virtually free university education which automatically puts me about £50k up on younger people today - this meant that once I started working I could afford to save towards a mortgage straight away rather than spending years paying off debt. And has left me in a much more stable financial situation to weather a storm like this one - though I don’t think there are any guarantees of course.

I don’t see why the government should do anything much for people who are managing just fine when there are a lot of people in need out there. 

This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support