Buying an approved-used Honda Jazz - tips please

New Post Advanced Search

Buying an approved-used Honda Jazz - tips please

19 replies 531 views
jamielutz1987jamielutz1987 Forumite
304 posts
100 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭
Hi, I'm looking to buy an approved-used Jazz, around 2012-14, 6-8k from a main dealer. No finance.

I always buy used (only twice ever) but from private individuals so haven't ever dealt with a dealer before. I was hoping someone could help with -

1. Is there any room for bargaining at all? If so any tips on how to go about it?

2. Do dealers usually accept credit cards?

3. Any other tips on how to get a good deal?

Thanks!

Replies

• greyteam1959greyteam1959 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    1) Always bargain.
    2) They probably won't accept a credit card due to the charge to them being on a % basis.
        They will accept a debit card.
    3) Do NOT buy any of their 'add ons' such a GAP insurance etc you can buy those sort of      products yourself vastly cheaper.

• DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2. Some will accept CC but generally they prefer not to. Try to insist that at least a minimal amount (e.g. £10) is paid on CC ... that way you get Section 75 protection if anything goes wrong and the dealer turns out to be a nightmare.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
  • MinuteNoodlesMinuteNoodles Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    2) They probably won't accept a credit card due to the charge to them being on a % basis.

Not sure that always applies anymore. I bought something from a hobby shop I use recently and mentioned that and he said it didn't matter as they no longer get charged and this was from the owner.

• EctophileEctophile Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last time I bought a used car, they were happy for me to pay the deposit by credit card, but I paid the balance using a debit card.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • iainscomputeriainscomputer Forumite
    216 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi, I'm looking to buy an approved-used Jazz, around 2012-14, 6-8k from a main dealer. No finance.

I always buy used (only twice ever) but from private individuals so haven't ever dealt with a dealer before. I was hoping someone could help with -

1. Is there any room for bargaining at all? If so any tips on how to go about it?

2. Do dealers usually accept credit cards?

3. Any other tips on how to get a good deal?

Thanks!
    The age & price of Honda Jazz you are looking for are probably now too old to be found for sale at a main dealer. My mother bought a 2012 Jazz EX from a Honda main dealer at the end of 2013. We are now in 2020, Main dealer pre owned stock does tend to be newer.
    You should have no problems finding this age of Honda Jazz from other dealers or private sales, they are a very good reliable car.
  • jamielutz1987jamielutz1987 Forumite
    304 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    @iainscomputer From what I see on the Honda website search, there are quite a few approved used cars on sale at main dealers from 2012 onwards. Maybe they've changed their policy recently?
  • UncleZenUncleZen Forumite
    720 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I agree with MinuteNoodles there is no significant difference between the charge to process a debit vs a credit card these days. So don't fall for that one if they spin it. 
  • jamielutz1987jamielutz1987 Forumite
    304 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Picked two approved-used Jazz ads and called the dealers.

Both were happy to accept full payment by credit card.

Bargaining went nowhere, one took pity and says he could drop the price by £200 if I paid a deposit right then, the other flat refused. Both were more interested in selling finance.

Anyway it's a good start, just need to work on my negotiation skills I suppose.

Out of interest, what kind of margins do dealers have on these kind of deals?
  • MercdriverMercdriver Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finance is where the money is made now.  Cash most definitely is NOT king.  
  • annabanana82annabanana82 Forumite
    688 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    We bought a car last month, they would not budge on price as the prices had already been reduced prior to or during lock down. 
    They bought my car 200 miles down the country so I could view (no obligation), paid for a new battery, serviced and MOT'd it and put £25 of fuel in. 
    When I test drove the car the previous listing was in the back and they had knocked off £1200 that I otherwise would have been unaware of. 
    All in I don't think I had a bad deal.