Debt in two countries

New Post Advanced Search

Debt in two countries

3 replies 112 views
elyse3112elyse3112 Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Hello,
I am trying to get my friend some help, he has about 11k in debt most from Portugal but some in the uk where he now lives and works... he has had no luck trying to put all his debt into one loan, his credit score is very low. What are his options? Thankyou 

Replies

• foxy-stoatfoxy-stoat Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is the interest rate on the debts and any reason why he has to bring all the debts to one loan?
    Money transfer credit cards then balance transfer them moving forward maybe an option.
    Score is meaningless, whats his credit history like?
    His options are to pay more money into the highest rate debt first.
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite, Board Guide
    21.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well debt from portugal cannot be enforced in the UK, as its a very long winded, expencive and complex process to chase debt abroad, which is why, unless we were talking millions here, they simply don`t bother.
    However it appears your "freind" is leaving a trail of debt behind them, and without knowing all there income/expenditure, how much money they owe and to who, then its impossible to give specific advice, as there are far too many variables.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    [email protected].
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    39.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    elyse3112 said:
    Hello,
    I am trying to get my friend some help, he has about 11k in debt most from Portugal but some in the uk where he now lives and works... he has had no luck trying to put all his debt into one loan, his credit score is very low. What are his options? Thankyou 
    I don't see him getting a loan when he already has debts.
    He needs to look at his spending and cut back.
    What are the debts you refer too ?