New Post Advanced Search

Loan help

6 replies 202 views
DavidJ103DavidJ103 Forumite
2 posts
First Post
This might sound a bit odd, but I need to lend 5 grand, however if I lend 7.5 grand I can get lower interest rate, this seems too simple so probably a stupid question but could I lend that and pay 2.5k back straight away? And be on a lower interest rate for the remaining 5k? 

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    29.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who do you want to lend it to?

And more importantly, do you trust them to pay you back?
  • sambairdsambaird Forumite
    122 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    I think the OP is confusing leading with borrowing.
  • DavidJ103DavidJ103 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    Ahh right yeah where I’m from we would say lend, but yeah I’m after a 5 grand loan for myself
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    29.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can borrow the larger amount to get the lower rate and repay the surplus, but you'll need to factor in the early repayment charge.

Most lenders will then maintain the same normal monthly payments, but reduce the term.  Some will allow a reduced amount over the same term, so you'd need to know if this is a critical factor.
  • Grumpy_chapGrumpy_chap Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The OP's idea makes sense.  It can only be answered by looking at the terms & conditions with the loan that the OP will take out.  Any answer from the forum will be a guess / typical only and may not apply to the actual product in question.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    45.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sambaird said:
    I think the OP is confusing leading with borrowing.
    In that case, I'd like to borrow £7.5K and receive some interest on it: can anyone help me?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)