Forum Home» Disability Money Matters

Post University - My Daughter

New Post Advanced Search

Post University - My Daughter

2 replies 131 views
My Daughter (23) has just completed University. This has been very traumatic throughout as she has severe mental health problems, but she has managed to complete Uni (with a break from the third year and graduating in the 4th) with my help and support. Prior to Uni she was on ESA for her MH. She would like to work and wants to work, but has not been able to travel anywhere alone for a long time now, and is still under the GP for her MH and on 5 types of meds. My thoughts are that she needs to claim UC and PIP so that she can take work if she manages to find something that she can manage. I also feel that the fact that she has been to Uni may might the DWP refuse her ESA anyway? She is an artist so is eventually hoping to work in her field, but is trying her best to get well enough to take any job as she doesn't want to claim benefits, she wants to work. Does anyone have any thoughts as I am a single parent and don't have any additional support so could do with some opinions please? (No nastiness tho! We are trying here!) Thank you. 

Replies

• Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    1.3K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Benefits are there to support those who need it, so she should not feel like she has to avoid claiming at the expense of her health! No shame in needing that support whatsoever.

Right now my brain's a bit melty so I can't give any advice but just needed to say that.
  • Magic_SisterMagic_Sister Forumite
    34 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I work in Training and huge numbers of her generation do not claim benefits. It has had a stigma put on it in the last 10 years and they won't do it. I worry for their NI tbh. Thank you for your comment.