New Post Advanced Search

The morons are at it again.

21 replies 2.1K views
shaun_from_Africashaun_from_Africa Forumite
12.9K posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
I went to my local Costco yesterday to carry out my monthly shop and lo and behold, the stockpiling idiots have started up again following the possibility of local lockdowns being enforced. (I'm in the South East, nowhere near to Leicester).
The shelves containing all household paper products (loo paper, kitchen paper and tissues) had all been stripped bare as had most of the aisle containing breakfast cereal.
I'm sure that if it hasn't already started, the same will happen in supermarkets again.

I had hoped that following the last time, people would have started to realise that if everyone buys in moderation, there would be more than enough to go around should there be further lock downs imposed.

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    47.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would explain why paracetamol has vanished from shelves again , don't need any but I had noticed the gaps again
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pallymanpallyman Forumite
    88 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    The idiots will always do it,Last time the toilet roll suppliers were telling them there was plenty of supply if they did not strip the shelves bare,Ahh well off to the shops i go >:) stay safe.
  • minty777minty777 Forumite
    339 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Why have the stores not put a limit on?
  • shaun_from_Africashaun_from_Africa Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    minty777 said:
    Costco have (1 multipack of toilet rolls per day per membership) and this can easily be enforced.
    However, with supermarkets it's far harder, if not impossible to stop people buying as much as they wish.
    All you have to do is either go in with a few family members and each make a separate purchase or go in yourself, buy a multipack, stick it in the car then simply go back in again.
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    minty777 said:
    It doesn't really work.  The problem isn't those few customers who try to buy armloads of a product.  It's when every customer thinks "X is in short supply, so I had better buy one more packet to make sure I have enough".  It doesn't take long before those customers buying one extra packet have stripped the shelves bare.

If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • ComicGeekComicGeek Forumite
    680 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    My wife saw a news report about toilet roll running out again, and bought some more - she didn't realise it was actually a news story about Australia...
  • AW618AW618 Forumite
    242 posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Ectophile said:
    minty777 said:
    It doesn't really work.  The problem isn't those few customers who try to buy armloads of a product.  It's when every customer thinks "X is in short supply, so I had better buy one more packet to make sure I have enough".  It doesn't take long before those customers buying one extra packet have stripped the shelves bare.

Indeed,  It's exaclty the same as the "fuel crisis" a few years back.  There were rumours of a shortage caused by protests so everybody decided they had better fill their tank up.  That was enough to cause immense queues and a complete sell out of all available fuel despite the fact that the protests never really happened.  It doesn't require anyone to stockpile things in the garage; deliveries of everything we use are calculated to be just enough for normal demand for a day; if demand increases, they sell out.  Then everyone sees they sold out today and thinks they had betetr buy some if they see some available,s o deliveries sell out as son as they come in for a few days so everybody has just a  little more than they need, and at that point things start retuning to normal as everyone stops buying.
  • coachman12coachman12 Forumite
    818 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    May I put in another one of my recommendations for shopping online with Ocado, surely one of Britain's best companies in its sector. Everything is back to normal pre-Corvid days when it comes to shopping at Ocado. Yes, they restrict the number of paracetamol, antibacterial soaps and cleaning wipes etc. you can buy in one order. But they are always available and always delivered. There are no limits now on normal grocery products, whether fresh, chilled or frozen. Ocado has dealt with the pandemic chaos better than any other supermarket.
    “Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.”― Dalai Lama 
  • BostonTelBostonTel Forumite
    13 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    May I put in another one of my recommendations for shopping online with Ocado, surely one of Britain's best companies in its sector. Everything is back to normal pre-Corvid days when it comes to shopping at Ocado. Yes, they restrict the number of paracetamol, antibacterial soaps and cleaning wipes etc. you can buy in one order. But they are always available and always delivered. There are no limits now on normal grocery products, whether fresh, chilled or frozen. Ocado has dealt with the pandemic chaos better than any other supermarket.
    Disagree, their app was offline completely for weeks on end, whereas other supermarkets were able to at least offer Click&Collect. Ocado was swamped by demand.
  • photomephotome Forumite
    15.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I read somewhere that there wasnt much panic buying at all, just a few percent more than normal, but that supermarkets dont keep very much overstock which led to empty shelves