Forum Home» House Buying, Renting & Selling

Can you choose to not sell to someone?

New Post Advanced Search

Can you choose to not sell to someone?

77 replies 5.2K views

My friend is selling her house she had a viewing today a couple came round with their 3 children, 5 times she had to ask the children to put stuff down as they kept picking things up and the parents said nothing and towards the end of the viewing she had to point out one child was missing only to find him opening cupboards and pulling stuff out in the front room and the parents still did nothing and in general along with this she could not wait to get the viewing over and get them out. She is worried now that they may offer as although she is moving she loves her house (location is the issue) and has always wanted it to hopefully go to a someone that is going to look after it and care. She has not found anything yet to buy. Is there a way you can choose to not sell to someone if they just gave you a bad impression or attitude? what if they offer the asking price? I said I can only think of having to accept the offer if its full asking price and hope someone else offers the asking price also then say you want to sell it to them.

As I was not sure I said I would ask the experts and people on here who may have been in this situation!

Replies

• edited 6 July at 4:37PM
    Alter_egoAlter_ego Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 July at 4:37PM
    You can sell to anyone you choose, or not, as you decide.
    The estate agent could be due commission if they introduce someone willing to pay the asking price.
    Loose means not tight, Lose means something is lost, simples no?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
  • jonnygee2jonnygee2 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's your house. You can sell to whoever you want to.
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    17.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, she doesn't have to sell to them. No reason need be given. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    17.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The estate agent will be pretty cross, though. :)

No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • JGB1955JGB1955 Forumite
    979 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    As above - you can sell to whoever you like (or don't like).  You can ignore a full asking price in favour of a lower offer - the vendor is in charge.
    #36 Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge.... £503/366...
  • curtis122curtis122 Forumite
    106 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker

I know once your gone you will never know how it is really looked after but when someone viewing gives you a very bad impression its tough when you have put so much love and care into your property yourself while there, you want to think its going to someone that has some level of being bothered.

Surely if someone offers the asking price and it gets rejected then they would want to know why so they would have to be given a reason? Also the agent may be annoyed but most of the time they just want a sale as quick as possible to get their commission and move on, its just getting the sale for them the majority of the time so in some ways if it was me I would not care if they are not happy with it, its would be my house. I would more understanding if its been on the market for ages and not many offers.

• davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    19.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtis122 said:

I know once your gone you will never know how it is really looked after but when someone viewing gives you a very bad impression its tough when you have put so much love and care into your property yourself while there, you want to think its going to someone that has some level of being bothered.

At what stage are you going to let go though? You don't really have much of an idea from a brief viewing, for all you know the nice respectable family might sell after a year to somebody completely different.

Would you really turn down the highest offer for this sort of reason? For several thousand pounds I'll gladly tolerate your kids messing around in my house for a few minutes...
  • jonnygee2jonnygee2 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know once your gone you will never know how it is really looked after but when someone viewing gives you a very bad impression its tough 

Why? Not your house not your problem. If still want control over the house don't sell.