Forum Home» Insurance & Life Assurance

Co-op travel insurance refunded without asking???

New Post Advanced Search

Co-op travel insurance refunded without asking???

7 replies 172 views
I took out a CO-OP travel insurance to cover a three day trip to Disneyland Paris. The trip in April was not possible due to COVID and the trip rebooked for April 2021. I emailed the CO-OP to inform them of the date change and they have now refunded the premium. Are they allowed to do this? 

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    102.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they allowed to do this? 

Seems a logical outcome.  You bought it to cover a trip in 2020 but changed it to 2021.  So, you don't need the travel insurance for the 2020 trip.  So, they refunded it.   You can now buy a new one for the 2021 trip.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Birseh_Birseh_ Forumite
    78 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Snow Girl....No it's not......by accepting the premium back you are nullifying your policy for FURTHER claims if you were about to make one....
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    74.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Birseh_ said:
    Snow Girl....No it's not......by accepting the premium back you are nullifying your policy for FURTHER claims if you were about to make one....
    Claim against what? 
    “Buy value, not market trends or the economic outlook. Individual stocks determine the market, not vica versa." - Sir John Templeton
  • Birseh_Birseh_ Forumite
    78 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    not going and prepaids etc if there were any
  • SnowGirlSnowGirl Forumite
    3 posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for your comments. To me it doesn’t seem fair, they were prepared to change the dates to July this year but when the holiday got postponed the second time due to COVID to next year they’ve refunded without my consent??
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    102.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Short term holiday insurance is bought with a specific trip and date in mind.   You now have a different trip and date planned to the one you bought the insurance for.      In your email, did you request to have the policy transferred to the new dates or did you just state the 2020 holiday was not happening and you were going in 2021 instead?

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the OP is now aggrieved that they no longer have corona virus cover as the policy was probably bought before march 13th. So any policy bought now is not going to cover any issues arising in the future, such as a second wave e.t.c
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ PIxie RIP