Forum Home» Benefits & Tax Credits

Part time employed, part time self employed. Can I apply for WTC?

New Post Advanced Search

Part time employed, part time self employed. Can I apply for WTC?

25 replies 341 views
A bit long winded so please bear with me. I am currently employed (21 hours) and in receipt of CTC. I am in process of starting up my own business. Will I be able to claim WTC as I will be working over 30 hours (employed and self employed combined)? I am not planning on taking a wage until I am established so would I just tell them my estimated profit? And would this change force me onto UC? I should say it is a joint claim my partner is unemployed and in receipt of ESA.
Hope I am making sense. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Replies

• KatrinaWavesKatrinaWaves Forumite
    2.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think any new claims for WTC are possible unless you are getting severe disability premium which you do not mention. 
  • Jita76Jita76 Forumite
    9 posts
    First Post First Anniversary
    I don’t think any new claims for WTC are possible unless you are getting severe disability premium which you do not mention. 
    I read this earlier online, so maybe I can claim as I already get CTC?
    You
     can no longer make a new claim for Working Tax Credit unless you have a current claim for Child Tax Credit. ... If you work 30 hours a week or more a bonus is payable in Working Tax Credit. In couples it is your combined work hours that are counted"
  • edited 5 July at 8:46AM
    calcotticalcotti Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 July at 8:46AM
    A new claim is not required.
    If you already claim CTC you can get WTC if you meet the conditions. CTC and WTC are not different benefits, they are part of one benefit - Tax Credits. Contact HMRC about any change of circumstances and your Tax Credits will be recalculated.

If your partner gets contribution based ESA this counts as income for Tax Credits.

If your partner gets income based ESA any WTC will count as income against the the ESA claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Jita76Jita76 Forumite
    9 posts
    calcotti said:
    A new claim is not required.
    If you already claim CTC you can get WTC if you meet the conditions. CTC and WTC are not different benefits, they are part of one benefit - Tax Credits. Contact HMRC about any change of circumstances and your Tax Credits will be recalculated.

If your partner gets contribution based ESA this counts as income for Tax Credits.

If your partner gets income based ESA any WTC will count as income against the the ESA claim.
    Thankyou, will they accept that I am not taking a wage until established, and accept my projected profits do you know? 
  • Icequeen1Icequeen1 Forumite
    204 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Jita76 said:
    A bit long winded so please bear with me. I am currently employed (21 hours) and in receipt of CTC. I am in process of starting up my own business. Will I be able to claim WTC as I will be working over 30 hours (employed and self employed combined)? I am not planning on taking a wage until I am established so would I just tell them my estimated profit? And would this change force me onto UC? I should say it is a joint claim my partner is unemployed and in receipt of ESA.
    Hope I am making sense. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    If you are already in receipt of CTC, and you are working 21 hours and your partner is in receipt of ESA then don't you already qualify for WTC? Have you told HMRC of both of these things?
  • Jita76Jita76 Forumite
    9 posts
    Its income based ESA my partner is receiving
  • edited 5 July at 10:15AM
    poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 July at 10:15AM
    Jita76 said:

Are you sure? As it's your partners ESA claim then working 21 hours per week would mean you won't be entitled to any Income related ESA because your earnings would completely wipe it out. If you're certain then do DWP know you're working this amount of hours?
    If it was either Contributions based or New style ESA then your earnings won't affect it.
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's £113.55 per week they receive then it's CB/New style ESA. If it's more than that then at least part of it is Income Related
  • Icequeen1Icequeen1 Forumite
    204 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Jita76 said:
    You need to double check that as Poppy says. If you get IBESA then you are entitled to maximum tax credits. As I said above - have you told HMRC about your 21 hours and the ESA - because you may already be entitled to WTC without the self-employment. 
  • Jita76Jita76 Forumite
    9 posts
    Thankyou everyone, yeah they know all these details. I need to be working a minimum of 24 hours for us to be entitled to WTC  they say.
    I work 21 hours presently on 15,000 p.a.
    We get CTC for our 3 year old 250 per 4 weeks
    Partner receives 250 ish per fortnight its def income based ESA he is on?