Forum Home» House Buying, Renting & Selling

Putting in an offer before you're 'Proceedable'

New Post Advanced Search

Putting in an offer before you're 'Proceedable'

14 replies 914 views
So our house went live on the market yesterday, we viewed a house 'twice' that we really like, we want to reserve it before we lose it,  now does it make sense to put in an offer before we have our property sstc or we won't be taken seriously?
Any experiences and help is appreciated.

Replies

• societys_childsocietys_child Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd never make an offer on the hope  that my house might sell sometime in the future.
  • SlitherySlithery Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can, but as you say it won't be taken seriously until you have an offer on your property.
  • HerbalusHerbalus Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t see why not. Otherwise you’re making the rule that you have to have your house sold before you can offer on another house. Which means that after selling your house, everything you see has vendors that haven’t yet found their next move.
    you have your house on the market, I can’t see what’s stopping you offering.
  • hazyjohazyjo Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can agree a price and they'll take it off the market, fine. If not, don't.

It will make it more attractive to others (human nature). It'll give you less room to adjust your price. It'll mean you'll probably not get a great deal on what you're buying. If they don't sell, they'll be less inclined to market at a lower price. Loads more reasons.
    2020 wins: nada (yet)
  • eddddyeddddy Forumite
    10.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Herbalus said:
    Otherwise you’re making the rule that you have to have your house sold before you can offer on another house. Which means that after selling your house, everything you see has vendors that haven’t yet found their next move.

Actually... that's exactly what does typically happen at every level above you in a chain.

Once a seller accepts an offer on their property, they're in a position to make an offer on another property - and so on up the chain.

That's why chains sometimes take months to form.

• SplatfootSplatfoot Forumite
    356 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    You can offer and the vendor can accept. They may carry on taking viewings though in case someone actually proceedable comes along. This is what's happening with us right now. We've accepted an offer but the chain isn't closed so we are still on the market. 
    MFW #96 Goal 2020 £600
  • AW618AW618 Forumite
    242 posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Splatfoot said:
    You can offer and the vendor can accept. They may carry on taking viewings though in case someone actually proceedable comes along. This is what's happening with us right now. We've accepted an offer but the chain isn't closed so we are still on the market. 
    You haven't really accepted an offer then, I would say.  You have just indicated a price which you are happy to accept from the first person who comes along in a position to actually offer it.
  • gettingtheresometimegettingtheresometime Forumite
    6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on what the seller is planning on buying.

many many moons ago we viewed our current house simply to find out what was on offer & for what money. Liked the house so much we put in an offer, for the asking price which was accepted even though we had put our house on the market.

it suited the sellers as they were buying a new build that wouldn't be ready for 5 months.

Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared :) thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
  • pinkteapotpinkteapot Forumite
    7.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    No reason not to put an offer in. Worst that happens is the vendor says no, or accepts but keeps marketing the house till you’re proceedable. 

When we sold a couple of years ago, we had an offer from someone not on the market yet. EA tried to convince me to accept it and come off the market for 2 weeks to give them a chance to try and get a quick sale. I said no and we sold to a chain-free buyer a few days later. But I knew the market was good (for sellers) at the time - with all the uncertainty and reduced activity in the market now the vendors might be grateful for an offer. 

How long has the house been on the market? 
  • BlueCBlueC Forumite
    665 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    In my experience most agents would consider this an "expression of interest" rather than an offer and they would pass it on to the vendor and advise the vendor to keep the property on the market. You could then ask the agent to keep you informed if any formal offers are made. Ultimately, until you are proceedable you're in an incredibly weak position. Get your property sold, then you can make offers.