New Post Advanced Search

BA flight cancelled - not answering the phone!

6 replies 71 views
gurlxogurlxo Forumite
2 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
I had a flight booked to Manchester which has been cancelled and I know I’m eligible for a refund because I’m not the one who cancelled it. The only thing is, they’re not answering the phone! It’s like they’re trying to avoid me so I’m not really sure how to go about getting my refund. I don’t really want a voucher as don’t have plans to fly with BA anytime soon and I booked a train to Manchester instead.

Replies

• jimbo6977jimbo6977 Forumite
    731 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    BA never answered the phone in the best of times. I spent a short period of my life working in a travel agency where my first task of the morning was to dial British Airways and leave the phone on speaker so that, in the unlikely situation that someone answered, my colleagues would be able to bombard the BA operative with bookings, amendments, requests, questions and who knows what else. 

Go online.
  • greyteam1959greyteam1959 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you paid by credit card do a chargeback.

• jpsartrejpsartre Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try calling as soon as lines open, that sometimes makes it easier to get through. Have to say I can't recognise the experience posted above, I've called BA many times over the years (including twice in the last month) and while there's sometimes a queue I don't think I've ever waited more than 10 minutes to get through.
  • WestinWestin Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ditto. I had need to call them twice in May, expected a long wait but connected the first time I seem to recall in 7 minutes and the second time in under 3 minutes.  Both calls after lunchtime.

Is a call necessary to obtain a refund? I thought the cancellation email gives instructions and a refund option available via the website.
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    47.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flights booked direct or via an agency ? 
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ThefotomanThefotoman Forumite
    4 posts
    First Post
    Now that people can book flights to certain countries they are trying to use their vouchers which can only be done over the phone.  I've been trying to get through to them for the past 4 hours and every time being told that they cannot accept my call; I'm then cut off.  It's either total incompetence or they are doing it deliberately!