MARTIN LEWIS LIVE Q&A TODAY WITH RISHI SUNAK
The Chancellor Rishi Sunak will be joining Martin for a live Q&A this afternoon to discuss the cost of living support package being announced today - you'll be able to watch it live HERE on the MoneySavingExpert website, stay tuned for more details

Never paid council tax!

in Debt-Free Wannabe
61 replies 11.7K views
13567

Replies

  • fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    17.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Resurrect said:
    So do you think this is what she should do?

    1. Call the voa & confirm never valued.
    2. Call the council & tell them.
    3. Appoint a solicitor.
    4. Receive bill (27 years x £2k may be = £54k??)
    5. Arranging a bridging loan to pay the council. With the solicitor to get an agreement that debt is settled. 
    6. Sell the house & repay bridging loan 
    Why would you appoint a solicitor to deal with the council if you're just going to pay any bill they send?

    One step at at a time.

    Contact VOA

    Report back here.
  • sam121285sam121285 Forumite
    34 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    These things are possible. I didn’t pay gas for 2 years when I bought my new build as I wasn’t registered anywhere. Took two years of constant phone calls and insisting that “yes I do have gas and it works” to various companies before it got sorted. Turns out it was register with the plot number and never changed to the actual house number and street name. I often wonder if I should of just left it and had free gas and how long it would have took for it to be noticed 
  • fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    17.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Councils tend to be a bit more on  the ball with new builds, rather than energy companies, or at least I thought so. After all, they gave permission for the thing to be built there in the first place. You'd think they would follow it through.

    I guess the lesson here is never underestimate the incompetence of a local council.
  • FatsdomFatsdom Forumite
    50 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I have a hunch the OP will discover that the council tax has been paid, perhaps in cash at the council office or by paypoint. All this talk of solicitors and £50k bills is a bit premature.

    That being said, I'm watching with great interest to see what happens! 
  • CISCIS Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fatsdom said:
    I have a hunch the OP will discover that the council tax has been paid, perhaps in cash at the council office or by paypoint. All this talk of solicitors and £50k bills is a bit premature.

    That being said, I'm watching with great interest to see what happens! 
    Time will tell - it would not be the first or last property that has escaped detection for decades.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a specialist Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
  • CISCIS Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sam121285 said:
    These things are possible. I didn’t pay gas for 2 years when I bought my new build as I wasn’t registered anywhere. Took two years of constant phone calls and insisting that “yes I do have gas and it works” to various companies before it got sorted. Turns out it was register with the plot number and never changed to the actual house number and street name. I often wonder if I should of just left it and had free gas and how long it would have took for it to be noticed 
    New estates can be a nightmare for council tax - especially so where the plot numbers have been changed during the construction and no-one ended up entirely sure what was what on a development of 50+ houses (that was especially fun to try and sort).
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a specialist Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
  • ResurrectResurrect Forumite
    45 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Thanks for all your replies.

    She’s plucking up the courage to call the voa. 

    She has used the ‘Tell Us Once’ service to update the council tax office of her mum’s death so imagine they will start looking into it also. 
  • edited 1 July 2020 at 3:20PM
    ResurrectResurrect Forumite
    45 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    edited 1 July 2020 at 3:20PM
    fatbelly said:
    Resurrect said:
    So do you think this is what she should do?

    1. Call the voa & confirm never valued.
    2. Call the council & tell them.
    3. Appoint a solicitor.
    4. Receive bill (27 years x £2k may be = £54k??)
    5. Arranging a bridging loan to pay the council. With the solicitor to get an agreement that debt is settled. 
    6. Sell the house & repay bridging loan 
    Why would you appoint a solicitor to deal with the council if you're just going to pay any bill they send?

    One step at at a time.

    Contact VOA

    Report back here.
    Hi Fatbelly (great username btw!)

    Expect it could be a more complex probate matter than just inheriting the house now.

    Also expect she’d want a solicitor to get in writing from council that debt is settled for house sale conveyancing & no future claims? 
  • sharpe106sharpe106 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Until they actually know what the situation is not much a solicitor can do except charge them for what they can do themselves.
  • ResurrectResurrect Forumite
    45 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Ok so she called but they aren’t taking calls blaming coronavirus! 

    She has messaged them through gov.uk giving the address & asking if the property is registered on the valuation list.

    I’ll post again when she hears back. 

    Thanks all again for your responses. And big thanks to CIS. 
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides