edited 1 May at 7:03PM in Water Bills
5 replies 101 views
JovialfernJovialfern Forumite
2 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 1 May at 7:03PM in Water Bills
Hi All , 
I moved in to a rented apartment property  in April and the toilet flush was leaky . It took some time to get it fixed due to the lockdown, but after a month its finally fixed  . The Water supplier has informed me that they would sending a team member some time this month to get the meter reading so the they can calculate daily consumption and then send me a bill for estimated usage for next 6 months. 
So obviously with the leak The month of april must had conisderably higher consumption and would not be my actual usage for the coming months. So what can be done about this can i request the supplier to make the estimate based on daily readings AFTER the fix + actual usage of April ? or How does it work . 
Sorry for being a Newb this is my first own rented property.

Thanks for any advise

Replies

• JoannaAnnaJoannaAnna Forumite
    12 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    If you're paying by DD (or some other monthly payment) you can certainly ask them to lower your installments to take your actual lower usage into account. To get a better idea of what your usage is now the leak is fixed, you could take a reading now and compare with the last reading after the leak was fixed to work out your average daily usage. If your last reading was taken prior to the leak being fixed, take one now and in a few weeks to get a true picture.

Bear in mind that if your previous plan was set with normal usage in mind, you'll have been under paying a bit because of the leak. Your DD will have to be a bit higher to ensure you're paying ithe deficit off.

Finally, be cautious of estimated use on your future bills - water company systems aren't super smart, so when looking at next year, they may think that your usage is usually quite high in Spring because of the distorting effect of the leak.
  • JovialfernJovialfern Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
     I didnt have a previous plan neither any payment set up yet as i only moved in the property last month . 
    To be honest i havent been able to find the water meter next to my electric meter . I wonder if its outside the building.
    Might have to check with the water supplier or landlord about location of the meter.

• Fly20Fly20 Forumite
    4 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi everyone, I need help. Being in a multi flats property, the landlord sent an estimated water bill out of the blue and this is not stated in the rent contract and when I asked him he said that everyone pays their share. So I do pay all bills myself including the council tax and gas/electric bills but can't work out how he is generating these water bills. Besides not all flats are same sizes as I am in a studio/CT A and other flats bigger than mine. I have asked him to provide me how he is allocating the water bill for my flat and he only stated that I am being childish! 
    So he generated another one yesterday (every 6 months) when I asked him now he is threatening to increase the rent again out of the blue. The contract is for a year and in middle of it and wanting to know what are my right/to do here? 
    Your help here is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    F.
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fly20 said:
    Hi everyone, I need help. Being in a multi flats property, the landlord sent an estimated water bill out of the blue and this is not stated in the rent contract and when I asked him he said that everyone pays their share. So I do pay all bills myself including the council tax and gas/electric bills but can't work out how he is generating these water bills. Besides not all flats are same sizes as I am in a studio/CT A and other flats bigger than mine. I have asked him to provide me how he is allocating the water bill for my flat and he only stated that I am being childish! 
    So he generated another one yesterday (every 6 months) when I asked him now he is threatening to increase the rent again out of the blue. The contract is for a year and in middle of it and wanting to know what are my right/to do here? 
    Your help here is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    F.

Is there a water meter for the whole building, or are the water charges based on the Rateable Value(RV) of the building?
    The principle is that a landlord cannot make a profit out of utilities. That said it is impossible to set up a method where a fair division of costs would be acceptable to all residents.
    If metered, there could be 2 people in your studio, home all day, and both taking deep baths every day. A larger flat could have one occupant who had a quick shower then out all day.
  • TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    What did you sign up to in your tenancy agreement?