New Post Advanced Search

Registry booked but reception postponed

3 replies 104 views
Hello,

Me and my Finace had to change our wedding from April to August. However, as per the Government guidelines, we can only have up to 30 guests, which includes staff etc and cannot have a reception party, unless it is with 1 other household (please do correct me if I am wrong).
We have asked our venue to have the reception next year in April as we would like all our guests there, which is about 135 people. The venue have gladly moved the reception to August 20th, which we are so happy about, as all we want to do is get married. The venue then have stated that they need to charge us £500 for splitting the wedding into two parts! I think this is extremely unfair seeing as we can't hold a reception party. We have advised them and they have stated that due to their loss of earnings they need to charge extra. We are not happy about this at all as no where in the contract does it state that there is a charge for splitting the wedding, which is beyond our control anyway. If the wedding was booked after 12 months from the original date, then by all means there is a charge, which we would accept but that is not the case here. We are really stuck here and do not know what to do. Please may you advise?

Thanks 
RKHM

Replies

• RKHMRKHM Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    RKHM said:
    Hello,

Me and my Finace had to change our wedding from April to August. However, as per the Government guidelines, we can only have up to 30 guests, which includes staff etc and cannot have a reception party, unless it is with 1 other household (please do correct me if I am wrong).
    We have asked our venue to have the "registry" next year in April as we would like all our guests there, which is about 135 people. The venue have gladly moved the reception to August 20th, which we are so happy about, as all we want to do is get married. The venue then have stated that they need to charge us £500 for splitting the wedding into two parts! I think this is extremely unfair seeing as we can't hold a reception party. We have advised them and they have stated that due to their loss of earnings they need to charge extra. We are not happy about this at all as no where in the contract does it state that there is a charge for splitting the wedding, which is beyond our control anyway. If the wedding was booked after 12 months from the original date, then by all means there is a charge, which we would accept but that is not the case here. We are really stuck here and do not know what to do. Please may you advise?

Thanks 
    RKHM
    Apologies, I meant the registry has been moved to August 20th

Thanks

RKHM
  • RKHMRKHM Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    RKHM said:
    RKHM said:
    Hello,

We have asked our venue to have the reception next year in April as we would like all our guests there, which is about 135 people. The venue have gladly moved the reception to August 20th, which we are so happy about, as all we want to do is get married. The venue then have stated that they need to charge us £500 for splitting the wedding into two parts! I think this is extremely unfair seeing as we can't hold a reception party. We have advised them and they have stated that due to their loss of earnings they need to charge extra. We are not happy about this at all as no where in the contract does it state that there is a charge for splitting the wedding, which is beyond our control anyway. If the wedding was booked after 12 months from the original date, then by all means there is a charge, which we would accept but that is not the case here. We are really stuck here and do not know what to do. Please may you advise?

Thanks 
    RKHM
    Apologies, I meant the registry has been moved to August 20th

Thanks

RKHM
    Apologies, my phone has a mind of its own! It is the reception that had been moved to April next year and registry to August 20th. So sorry
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Understandable. You are now booking the venue for 2 separate dates, so both have to be paid for.

Of course there is nothing in the contract because it was for a wedding and reception on the same day. You are now requesting a significant change to the contract (not because of Covid) and unsurprisingly the venue want additional money to cover two events rather than one.