Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***) - Page 76

New Post Advanced Search

Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

edited 18 January at 8:10PM in Food Shopping & Groceries
1.4K replies 189.5K views

Replies

• mamanmaman Forumite
    24.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this thread was about good and bad buys at Aldi and Lidl not about what other shops are doing.
    I commented on Tesco simply to highlight that Aldi is still a best buy although they don't do online shopping. 
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    calleyw said:
    maman said:
    I think Tesco has done well out of lockdown because they do online shopping and Aldi and Lidl don't. It's a similar issue to Primark during lockdown. I'd be surprised if Aldi and Lidl are losing sleep though. 
    You honestly believe that all supermarket doing deliveries during these times are making a killing?  They lose between £5-£7 per delivery https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3828648/Deliveries-hit-Big-Four-supermarkets-500m-lose-5-7-online-order.html.   
    At least with Aldi and Lidl you had very few gaps on their shelves where the big four did due to the amount of deliveries they were doing.
    Yours
    Calley x

The big ones are not doing this out of the kindness of their hearts, they are building social capital. The sales figures for March and April confirm this.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lidl's peaches and nectarine are spot on this year, not had a bad one yet.

• edited 28 June 2020 at 8:44PM
    calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 June 2020 at 8:44PM
    The big ones are not doing this out of the kindness of their hearts, they are building social capital. The sales figures for March and April confirm this.
    They are still not making the big bucks that some people seem to be suggesting.  They are still loosing money on every order. And only make a profit due to the amount of turn over as they work on a profit margin of between 1-4%. I can see what is going to happen. Bigger supermarkets disppearing and being like ocado online only and just a picking warehouse and places like tesco express type places left,  that are more costly to buy from in the first place.  Food deserts here we come.
    Yours
    Calley x

Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • edited 30 June 2020 at 9:27AM
    duncanthedogduncanthedog Forumite
    4.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 June 2020 at 9:27AM
    As much as I like the Simply White facial tissues from Lidl, I hate the way that when they are getting close to the bottom of the box, they wont stay popped up. Gravity, it seems is stronger than the polythene at the opening.
    It worked OK until they made the box deeper to hold 225 tissues instead of 150.
  • The high-protein low-calorie ice cream at Lidl is so good! Nicer than Halo Top and half the price. 
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • EenymeenyEenymeeny Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    The high-protein low-calorie ice cream at Lidl is so good! Nicer than Halo Top and half the price. 
    Thank you, I didn't know that there was such a thing! I'll look out for it next time I'm in there. We've been eating far too much ice cream during lockdown. Buying cones as an easy, wrapped, option for visitors to the garden then eating it ourselves! :(
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    15.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always liked the Aldi part-baked bread products.  The range is much bigger than Lidl's, and the price is much better than I've seen in the big supermarkets.

Supply has been a little bit patchy during lockdown, but I noticed some Seeded Sourdough Baguettes, and they are delicious - the best of the product range I have tried so far.   Cheap, too:  2 medium baguettes for 89p.  (They are in separate bags so you can use them one at a time).
    ex Board Guide

2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Popped into Lidl late this evening and their Dutch Gouda was on offer, £1.09/450g. The packs I bought expire in 5 weeks time but won't last that long in my fridge :D 

2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Popped into Lidl late this evening and their Dutch Gouda was on offer, £1.09/450g. The packs I bought expire in 5 weeks time but won't last that long in my fridge :D 
    I have shocked myself....I have nibbled my way through 3 1/2 packs in just a fortnight (it is the 15th today, isn't it?) :o

Just wanted to say that I thought I would be disappointed with the big punnets of plums (weekly offer 99p/1kg) but have been anything but. Ripened, they are red and quite delicious.