Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms

School meals, what are your memories?

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

School meals, what are your memories?

edited 16 June at 1:51PM in The Money Savers Arms
20 replies 161 views
Fairy_Cross_The_MerseyFairy_Cross_The_Mersey Forumite
150 posts
100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
edited 16 June at 1:51PM in The Money Savers Arms
Cold lumpy mash and grisly meat followed by watery custard.

Replies

• edited 16 June at 2:06PM
    PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 June at 2:06PM
    I ate pretty much everything, really.
    And had seconds!

The only thing that I had a real, physical aversion to was mashed potato. I couldn't eat it at home either. It would make me gag.

These were the days when you had to have a bit of everything on offer, and you had to clear your plate, otherwise you were kept behind until you finished it.

After several instances of me sat in the dining hall, gagging, crying, and pouring salt over tiny amounts of mash as I tried to get it down me, (somehow salt made it slightly easier to swallow), the teachers on duty, finally realising that this was a real aversion  and not just me playing up, told me that if I got a note from my mother asking me to be excused from mashed potato, I could be excused it. 

Which I did. Even then, sometimes the dinner ladies asked for verification, until they got to know me.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).
    Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• welshbookwormwelshbookworm Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pyxis, I had the same problem with custard! It was only when I brought the whole lot back up in the pig swill bin that they let me refuse the horrid stuff.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • MorbierMorbier Forumite
    614 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    We sat at tables of 8 and pudding was served one to each table, for us to divide and serve up amongst ourselves. There was one particular pudding that only two of us liked, so we got half each!  The pudding was what is nowadays called a 'tray bake' - pastry base, a layer of jam, topped with custard, served warm/cold.  Yummy.  It was the cold custard (plus skin) that put most people off. I could eat some now. 🤪
    I can't imagine a life without cheese. (Nigel Slater)
  • minimad1970minimad1970 Forumite
    6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    We had lovely school dinners at junior school in the late seventies. Chocolate sponge with mint custard and jam and coconut sponge with pink custard were particular favourites :yum:
  • minimad1970minimad1970 Forumite
    6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    We also had this, which a bakery near me has started selling..

• Rhoda_CamelRhoda_Camel Forumite
    99 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Urgh soggy chips!
  • joansgirljoansgirl Forumite
    17.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braised liver 🤢

I liked everything else. I used to fight people to get to the front of the queue for custard so I could have the skin 🥣
    floraison.gif
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
  • edited 16 June at 5:35PM
    PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 June at 5:35PM
    Morbier said:
    We sat at tables of 8 and pudding was served one to each table, for us to divide and serve up amongst ourselves. There was one particular pudding that only two of us liked, so we got half each!  The pudding was what is nowadays called a 'tray bake' - pastry base, a layer of jam, topped with custard, served warm/cold.  Yummy.  It was the cold custard (plus skin) that put most people off. I could eat some now. 🤪
    I liked that, too. Can't remember what it was called. 
    Just googled it! Manchester Tart! I knew it was named after a town!

Cold custard is funny. As part of a cake of tart, in a set state, I quite like it, even if it has skin. As just cold custard though, poured over something, it's a no-no.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).
    Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• pollypennypollypenny Forumite
    29K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had lovely school dinners, apart from on Mondays, which were a bit scratch - baked beans, mash and spam, followed by dig and splash ( thin layer of pastry, jam and coconut, with custard). The chocolate pudding and sauce were gorgeous. 
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vile, at best barely edible slop/sludge served by women with a fierce hatred of children, eaten in halls patrolled by psychopaths whose entire goal in life was to make your experience of eating as unpleasant and antisocial and divisive as possible.

Heaven help those who tried to opt-out by taking a packed lunch - You were truly persona non-grata and had to take your place in the queue behind the free meal kids in order to get a seat at the one table, grudgingly set aside for all of you.

Even today, there are still certain foods/combinations that can induce shocking flashbacks - and anyone serving me boiled cabbage Is taking a big chance!