Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

edited 14 June 2010 at 3:34PM in Broadband & Internet Access
1.9K replies 555.8K views

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BT Fibre   means BT Open Reach fibre  many ISPs use that Sky TT Plusnet etc .So price them all up .
    BT OR fibre is to the local cabinet max speed circa 80 meg as opposed to higher range from VM .
  • TW1951TW1951 Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Virgin Media increased the price of my basic TV + 300Mb Broadband + Anytime phone package from £45.00 to £72.50 per month. I phoned them, and after a 30 minute wait I spoke to someone whose best offer was £66.50 with a basic phone package. I said that was too expensive and I wanted to cancel and after another wait (40 minutes) I spoke to someone else who offered me my existing package for £53.00 (12 months). It was a chunk out of my Saturday morning but worth the waits.
  • astwoodbankerastwoodbanker Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    We've been with Virgin for years, originally to get a decent TV service.  Have now got a freeview aerial (for additional TV's) and the virgin bill rocketed to 44.50 a month. Signed up with the post office and bought a humax pvr, then got a call from virgin 'why was I moving?' Cost obviously so we're about to switch to 50mb broadband and phone line only, no TV, no phone package for £9 a month with Virgin.  Guaranteed no price increases for the next 12 months.  I think that's a good deal.
    16.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that Post Office ( resold Talk Talk) or a new VM offer ??
  • edited 18 May at 4:59PM
    notionalnotional Forumite
    34 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 18 May at 4:59PM
    A big up for Plusnet... I've had really bad problems with my phone line during lockdown, and they were really great.  Gave me a credit to cover some BT open wifi data as a stopgap, good communication throughout between them and Openreach, I really like the ticket feature on the website where you can see the messages going between them and Openreach and even the engineer's test data.
    Also my deal with them has hardly gone up in price since I moved in 9 years ago.  Each year I just phone them, say I am shopping around and ask for a deal matching the one last year (or their new customer deal, or even an outrageous combo of the two on one occasion) and they say yes. My router was being annoying after 5 years, and they spent ages trying to reset it.  And finally sent me a new one.  Their call centre staff are chatty and friendly. 
    It is hard to get through on the phone atm, but keep trying.  They do answer in the end.
  • peigi_2peigi_2 Forumite
    60 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Is possible to have phone with one company and broadband with company or sim that works on laptop for surfing the the next emails etc ?
    16.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes but .
    Most separate supply's are a lot more expensive . Take it you mean a landline phone + broadband .
    Laptop yes a few take a sim / tablets more likely to take a siim or use a mobile dongle .
    Really depends upon what you want to do .
  • K0000001K0000001 Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    BROADBAND SWITCHING
    I have virgin media m70 for broadband and phone at the moment. Just tried all of the companies promoted on MSE and none can supply fast broadband to my address - all will supply only a very basic service which is far too slow to go on especially as need speed all day for kids at home / working.  I chatted to 3 providers and all said same thing go speak to BT get them to install. But then I have to take a contract with BT.  So really no choice other than BT or stay at Virgin. That's not a great consumer choice and very poor practice.  As I've been on Virgin for 10 years I am in effect stuck with its high prices. What can I do? any advice please
  • kazdronkazdron Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Has anyone heard of Quick Compare. I had a guy knock at my door saying he had been called out after complaints from local residents about broadband speeds. Ultimately he was wanting me to do a switch to EE as he said they were coming out cheapest. I haven’t switched with him but I can’t find anything out about Quick Compare when I’ve googled them. Is it a scam? 
  • edited 15 July at 7:48AM
    csgohan4csgohan4 Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 July at 7:48AM
    kazdron said:
    Has anyone heard of xxxxx. I had a guy knock at my door saying he had been called out after complaints from local residents about broadband speeds. Ultimately he was wanting me to do a switch to EE as he said they were coming out cheapest. I haven’t switched with him but I can’t find anything out about xxxx when I’ve googled them. Is it a scam? 
    The question is, have you done your research, what are their reviews, their speeds e.t.c ? or is your first post advertising them? If you can't find them online, why bother with them?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ PIxie RIP