Forum Home» Techie Stuff

Anti Virus Questions......

New Post Advanced Search

Anti Virus Questions......

edited 6 June at 10:15PM in Techie Stuff
14 replies 163 views
richardvcrichardvc Forumite
1.2K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
✭✭✭
edited 6 June at 10:15PM in Techie Stuff
We have two Windows 10 PCs in our household and have had Mcafee included in our Sky package. 
From this Tuesday, we will be changing over to NowTv fibre and obviously will need to have AV software up and running when this happens....
We are two average domestic users, internet banking, streaming, email, ebay, Amazon etc but occasionally my other half works from home.
Most of what we do is cloud based (Google Drive) with not a lot of info actually held on the PCs.
So I have two questions.....
1. What would you recommend as AV software ?  One of my friends recommended ESET but I am open to options and will happily pay for something as long as it does a good job.
2. When you install AV software, do you remove the old one first and then install the new one OR install the new one and then remove the previous incumbent ?
Many thanks for your help.
Richard
Thanks to MSE I cleared £37k of debt in five years and I was lucky enough to meet Martin to thank him personally.

Replies

• J_BJ_B Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Assuming you have Windows 10 (?) read a few of the threads on this section of the forum which mostly tell you that the built in W10 AV is fine as it is.
    But make sure you uninstall Muck Crappy properly - not sure, but maybe there is a tool you can D/L to do it??
  • RumRatRumRat Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    As above, no need for any other AV than the built in Windows defender....Plus the free version of Malwarebytes, to do a periodic scan...Save your money.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    richardvc said:
    1. What would you recommend as AV software ?  One of my friends recommended ESET but I am open to options and will happily pay for something as long as it does a good job.
    2. When you install AV software, do you remove the old one first and then install the new one OR install the new one and then remove the previous incumbent ?

Never run two anti-virus programs together.  They will spend more time fighting with each other than doing anything else.

Best anti-virus software is common sense and don't click on yes on everything that comes up without reading it first.  And use a decent browser that doesn't allow you to "run" anything from the internet, but to save instead.  Those you can cancel, you can't cancel what's already running that you didn't want in the first place...
  • richardvcrichardvc Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    RumRat said:
    As above, no need for any other AV than the built in Windows defender....Plus the free version of Malwarebytes, to do a periodic scan...Save your money.
    I am in the process of doing exactly this !
    Thanks to MSE I cleared £37k of debt in five years and I was lucky enough to meet Martin to thank him personally.
  • askeymaskeym Forumite
    117 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    I have used Avast for donkey years. Never picked up a virus.
    I know Domestos kills 99% of germs, but I'm worried about the 1% that got away.
  • dogmaryxxdogmaryxx Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surely if you need Malwarebytes free it suggests that Defender is not up to the job as they state
    Malwarebytes Free
    Cleans up your device after an infection. Try Premium to stop infections before they happen

• J_BJ_B Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    askeym said:
    I have used Avast for donkey years. Never picked up a virus.
    I stopped using it about ten years ago - never picked up a virus.
  • RumRatRumRat Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    dogmaryxx said:
    Surely if you need Malwarebytes free it suggests that Defender is not up to the job as they state
    Malwarebytes Free
    Cleans up your device after an infection. Try Premium to stop infections before they happen

Having a multi layer approach is just sensible. No one Av can guarantee to catch everything, including Malwarebytes premium.
    Nothing stopping you running your AV and MB premium at the same time.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    15.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dogmaryxx said:
    Malwarebytes Free

Belt and braces.
  • AndyPixAndyPix Forumite
    4.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    dogmaryxx said:
    Malwarebytes Free

That comment is defining the difference between the free MWB and the premium version.
    With the free version you need to manually scan (after) - with the premium version it offers realtime protection (before)
    Nothing to do with defender whatsoever ..

Also, Antivirus <> Anti malware

Running with scissors since 1978 :)