Forum Home» Public Transport & Cycling

Which month in 2020/2021 will rail travel for leisure return?

New Post Advanced Search

Which month in 2020/2021 will rail travel for leisure return?

edited 1 June at 9:12PM in Public Transport & Cycling
13 replies 641 views
DollyTheSheepDollyTheSheep Forumite
100 posts
Second Anniversary 10 Posts
edited 1 June at 9:12PM in Public Transport & Cycling
Noticed this tweet from National Rail the other day and got me wondering when will be the month when we can all travel to a destination on a train for leisure? We still have workers to return on trains and many wrapped in furlough till Aug, Set, Oct...
https://twitter.com/nationalrailenq/status/1265597494337118210
I am thinking August 2020 but interested to hear peoples thoughts.

Replies

• penners324penners324 Forumite
    540 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    We're coming out of lockdown already. End of June for 'leisure' travel.
    August next year? Seriously?
  • yorkie2yorkie2 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what you mean by "leisure travel", but if you mean to  travel for an overnight break, the answer is simply when the hotels open and staying overnight is allowed.

If you mean for a daytrip, then you can use public transport now.
  • surreysaversurreysaver Forumite
    3.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Public transport is currently only for people who have essential travel that do not have their own transport - for people travelling to and from work who cannot work from home.  There are cases of people being refused travel, or being turned around to go back from where they came if they cannot justify why they're travelling.  You can travel for leisure if you have your own private transport.
    When you can use rail again will depend upon government advice, I imagine at the same point when people no longer have to queue to get into Tesco.  Maybe after the summer?  Possibly not until Autumn.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • edited 3 June at 4:58PM
    p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 June at 4:58PM
    We're coming out of lockdown already. End of June for 'leisure' travel.
    August next year? Seriously?
    I know a lot of people are currently losing track of the days of the week (today is blursday), but to lose track of the year is really going above and beyond.... ;)
    I am thinking August 2020 but interested to hear peoples thoughts.

• DollyTheSheepDollyTheSheep Forumite
    100 posts
    yorkie2 said:

No you can't. Essential travel only.
    https://twitter.com/northernassist/status/1265561056304390145
  • yorkie2yorkie2 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Public transport is currently only for people who have essential travel that do not have their own transport - for people travelling to and from work who cannot work from home.  There are cases of people being refused travel, or being turned around to go back from where they came if they cannot justify why they're travelling.  You can travel for leisure if you have your own private transport.
    Public transport is available for anyone who is unable to travel by car; there is no requirement to justify why you are travelling.

If you are aware of instances of people being refused travel, I would be interested to hear exactly where this is happening, and which organisations are involved.
    yorkie2 said:

No you can't. Essential travel only.
    https://twitter.com/northernassist/status/1265561056304390145
    Yes you can.
    The term "essential travel only" is a misnomer; what matters is whether the travel is permitted by legislation.

• TooManyPointsTooManyPoints Forumite
    544 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Yes you can. 

Seconded.

The idea that public transport is for "essential" use only has been gaining some ground. It has no basis in the current law. If you are making a journey which is permitted under the latest Coronavirus regulations (which in England, since last Monday, is just about any journey you like) then you can make it by any method you choose. As demonstrated in yorkie2's link, some rail companies are attempting to restrict travel but they have no right to do so. However, it shows the success of the propoganda put out by the rail companies and others because, as demonstrated here, many people believe it. Mayor Khan of London was forced to remove the references to "essential travel only" which appeared on TfL services. Other companies should be compelled to do likewise. 

• nedchesternedchester Forumite
    32 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    Yes you can. 

Seconded.

The idea that public transport is for "essential" use only has been gaining some ground. It has no basis in the current law. If you are making a journey which is permitted under the latest Coronavirus regulations (which in England, since last Monday, is just about any journey you like) then you can make it by any method you choose. As demonstrated in yorkie2's link, some rail companies are attempting to restrict travel but they have no right to do so. However, it shows the success of the propoganda put out by the rail companies and others because, as demonstrated here, many people believe it. Mayor Khan of London was forced to remove the references to "essential travel only" which appeared on TfL services. Other companies should be compelled to do likewise. 

Exactly. It's like one of those sayings. If you repeat a lie enough times it becomes truth.
  • DollyTheSheepDollyTheSheep Forumite
    100 posts
    TPE have clarified too, I would deem this confirming the "essential travel" only statement. There is not the capacity or resources to accept non essential travel atm.

“The government guidelines on social distancing means there will be space for as little as a tenth of the usual number of passengers on the railway, which for us at TransPennine Express means our capacity is limited to around 15 to 20 people per train carriage, so please only travel if you really have to.”
  • TooManyPointsTooManyPoints Forumite
    544 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    "...so please only travel if you really have to.”

So a request, then, not an instruction. The problem is that there is no legislation to back up such a request and so it is unenforceable. If somebody pitches up at the station and refuses to state why they are travelling, what will happen? If they do state their purpose who will decide whether that is essential or not and if they decide it is not what will happen?

The taxpayer supports the railways to the tune of around £5bn a year (in a normal year). It is completely unsustainable to expect that subsidy (and a lot more besides with 90% of fares lost) to continue whilst running trains around that are 90% empty. The TOCs would be better off abandoning the idea of running trains and just hire taxis to ferry around the 10% of passengers that they apparently will permit to use their services.