My drive unusable

My driveway is directly next to my neighbours driveway with a feint division line in the concrete and on one side is our garden fence. They want to fence round their driveway to make their garden bigger. Can this go ahead legally? If they do that I won’t beable to use my driveway as I won’t have room to open the doors and get out.

Replies

• jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your space only needs to be 2.4m wide to be classed as a standard parking space. As long as they don’t cross the boundary of land you own it doesnt sound illegal, but you might want to check your deeds for the boundary and talk to a solicitor to check
  • KeithPKeithP Forumite
    26.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless there is something in their deeds, or your deeds maybe, saying that cannot be done, then I can't see why they can't fence in their property.

Perhaps you could take down your fence between your garden and driveway to avoid using their space to open your car door?
  • allybally82allybally82 Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I can’t do that as there are huge kerb stones around the outside of the driveway 😩
  • Le_KirkLe_Kirk Forumite
    14.8K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe post this in the "In my home (includes DIY) moneysaving" forum; there are often debates about just such issues.
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unless you have something in your deeds to give you a row over the neighbour's drive then you need to reorganise your drive and garden to make it possible to open your doors. 
    With no Row then neighbour is within his rights to erect a fence on his boundary. 
  • KeithPKeithP Forumite
    26.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can’t do that as there are huge kerb stones around the outside of the driveway 😩
    Your kerbstones? On your property? Dig them up.

No such thing as 'can't'.